Click on "Learn more about this agency" button below to view Eligibilities being considered and other IMPORTANT information.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? Visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov
Clarification from the agency
Open to U.S. Citizens/Nationals
WHAT IS THE ONLINE SERVICESDIVISION?
A description of the business units can be found at: https://www.jobs.irs.gov/about/who/business-divisions
The following are the duties of this position at the full working level. If this vacancy includes more than one grade and you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform these duties and receive training to help you grow in this position.
- Participates as a Data Scientist in the advanced analytics projects undertaken; interpreting requirements, assisting in the development or solution designs and other project artifacts, and the delivery of data science and analytics tasks required. This includes participating in code reviews and coordinating and getting acceptance on various delivery items the incumbent is responsible for, and providing clear verbal and written communications within and outside the Team. The incumbent will also be required to provide trainings on and outside the Team, and to be engaged as a Mentor to junior Data Scientists. The incumbent will be responsible for constantly holding the picture of OLS and the IRS's drive for digital and cultural transformation to a customer-centric orientation with a data and analytics emphasis by improving the overall data and analytics environment while being pragmatic and agile and in synch with the needs of the business at all times. The incumbent will be developing designs for data extraction, loading, transformation, governance, and cataloguing for better and reduced time to insights for the business using an selected tools and platforms while strengthening standards and governance.
- Applies professional knowledge of computer science, mathematical, statistical theories, techniques, and methods to gather, analyze, design and construct new processes for analytical modeling, interpreting models, and/or reporting quantitative information, trends, relationships and correlations among or within data.
- The Incumbent works with the Team Lead to define advanced analytics, M/L and AI project objectives. Works to define metrics and measures of effectiveness and expected outcomes. Works with the Team Lead to identify and/or develop innovative and effective novel approaches and methodologies; applies advanced operations research and data science techniques for quantitative analysis, statistical analysis, forecasting, predictive modeling, prescriptive analysis, and optimization; and validates analysis and outcomes. The Incumbent is responsible for the coding and development of algorithms and/or using tools such as PowerBI to support data manipulation, processing, and data visualization. The Incumbent will be responsible for articulating findings and distribution of reports and dashboards.
- Utilizes an in-depth knowledge of data science techniques and methodologies such as machine learning, predictive analysis, prescriptive analysis and optimization, and other emerging analytical techniques to assist, consult, or lead others in the application of data science techniques. Defines and documents the specific analytics approaches applied in project delivery; establishing success metrics to be used in satisfying business's requirements for project outcomes; and establishing key performance indicators to be used in ongoing reporting that measure the value creation delivered by the project over time. Drives pragmatic approaches to solving key complex business problems through data analysis, predictive modeling and machine learning techniques and be responsible for data acquisition of the right data to fuel selected techniques as necessary - recommends data collection, integration, and retention requirements; and makes recommendations for improvements to methods and algorithms, based on knowledge of best practices.
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National and provide proof of U.S. Citizenship. (Birth certificate showing birth in the U.S; Unexpired U.S. Passport; Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization; or Report of Birth Abroad of a U.S. Citizen (Form FS-240))
- Undergo a review of prior performance/conduct and an income tax verification. Refer to "Get Your Tax Record" at http://www.irs.gov/(https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript) to check the status of your account, balance owed, payment history, make a payment, or review answers to tax questions. If you are not in compliance, you will be determined unsuitable for employment with IRS.
- Must successfully complete a background investigation, including a FBI criminal history record check (fingerprint check).
- Complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment, at the time requested by the agency.
- Go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form I-9. Federal law requires verification of the identity and employment eligibility of all new hires in the U.S. These documents must be unexpired original or certified copies.
- Obtain and use a Government-issued charge card for business-related travel.
Federal experience is not required. The experience may have been gained in the public sector, private sector or Volunteer Service.
One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-timework is considered on a prorated basis. To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week, on your resume.
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement:
BASIC REQUIREMENTS FOR ALL GRADES:
A Bachelor's or higher degree in Mathematics, statistics, computer science, data science or field directly related to the position. The degree must be in a major field of study (at least at the baccalaureate level) that is appropriate for the position.
Combination of education and experience: Courses equivalent to a major field of study (30 semester hours) as shown above, plus additional education or appropriate experience.
In addition to meeting the basic requirement above, to qualify for this position you must also meet the qualification requirements listed below:
GS-13 SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE:
You must have 1 year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-12 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position must include experience applying design and implementation of data science and analytical methods such as exploratory data analysis, descriptive analytics, and predictive analytics using machine learning. Experience with solution design techniques, implementation approaches, and analytics. Experience carrying out advanced analytics tasks on projects such as data preparation to deal with data outliers or missing data. Experience in the use of relevant data science programming languages such as, R, Python, SQL, MATLAB, and experience using an integrated development environment (IDE) such as, RStudio. Experience applying effective communication, both orally and in writing to articulate findings and recommendations and to prepare reports and assessments for management. Experience in applying more than one data science model or algorithm and selecting the best using a performance metric like Area Under the Curve (AUC). Experience with the iterative processes required in carrying out data science projects such as identifying the business problem to be solved and data available to solve the problem, carrying out data preparation and feature engineering, and building models designed to solve the problem. Experience using data preparation methods, feature engineering, exploratory data analysis, predictive model creation, and designing and creating data visualizations. Experience with data analysis tools, data visualization tools, and data reporting platforms and tools such as, PowerBI, Tableau or other data analysis and visualization tools to tell stories with data and analysis (e.g., time series, cohort analysis, clustering analysis, trend analysis, principal components analysis, other data analysis).
For more information on qualifications please refer to OPM's Qualifications Standards
For positions with an education requirement, or if you are qualifying for this position by substituting education or training for experience, submit a copy of your transcripts or equivalent. An official transcript will be required if you are selected.
A college or university degree generally must be from an accredited (or pre-accredited) college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For a list of schools which meet these criteria, please refer to Department of Education Accreditation page.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying. Click here for Foreign Education Credentialing instructions.
If the position(s) are no longer needed prior to the closing date, this announcement may be closed early.
- Subject to a 1-year probationary period (unless already completed).
- Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
- If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
- We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies. Additional jobs may be filled.
- The salary range indicated in this announcement reflects the minimum locality pay up to maximum locality pay for all duty locations listed. The range will be adjusted for selected duty location. General Schedule locality pay tables may be found under Salaries & Wages.
- This is a bargaining unit position.
- Tour of Duty: Full-time, Day shift.
- Alternative work schedule, staggered work hours or telework may be available.
- Telework Eligible Positions: Telework eligible positions do not guarantee telework. Employees must meet and sustain IRS telework eligibility requirements (e.g., reporting at least twice a pay period to your assigned Post of Duty (POD)) and supervisor's approval to participate in the IRS Telework Program. Employees must also be within a 200-mile radius of their official assigned post-of-duty (POD) while in a telework status. As a reminder - If you are selected for a position, you are responsible for reporting to your designated POD (location) on the negotiated start date or as directed by management.
This is an open continuous announcement which will be used to fill vacancies in the locations listed as they become available for the next 12 months contingent upon funding and space requirements. Applicants must apply and/or update their applications by 11:59 pm ET at the close of the following cutoff dates to be considered: Cutoff date(s): 6/5/2023, 9/26/2023, 12/26/2023, 3/25/2024.
This announcement may be amended to include additional cut-off dates within the 12
month period if needed, not later than 10 days prior to the additional cut-off date(s). Eligible applicants who apply by the initial cut-off date, will be referred in score order. If additional vacancies exist
, remaining applicants will be considered in score order as needed. Selections from this announcement may be made no later than (NLT) 6/24/2024.
A career with the U.S. government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Opens in a new windowLearn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application includes your resume, responses to the online questions, and required supporting documents. Please be sure that your resume includes detailed information to support your qualifications for this position; failure to provide sufficient evidence in your resume may result in a "not qualified" determination.
Rating: You will be assessed on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities, and other characteristics):
- Analysis and Decision Making
- Creativity and Innovation
- Planning and Evaluating
- Service Delivery
Category rating will be used to rank and select eligible candidates. If qualified, you will be assigned to one of two quality level categories, CAT A/B, CAT C depending on your responses to the online questions, regarding your experience, education, and training related to this position. Your rating may be lowered if your responses to the online questions are not supported by the education and/or experience described in your application.
If you are among the top qualified candidates, your application may be referred to a selecting official for consideration. Candidates, if required to participate in a selection interview (telephonic and/or in person at the discretion of the Selecting Official in accordance with hiring practices), will be interviewed in quality group order. We will not
reimburse costs related to the interview such as travel to and from the interview site.
Veterans' preference is applied after applicants are assessed. Qualified preference eligibles who have a compensable service-connected disability of 10 percent or more (CPS, CP) are placed at the top of the highest category on the referral list (except for scientific or professional positions at the GS-9 level or higher). Remaining preference eligibles are placed above non-preference eligibles within their assigned category.
If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee (eligible for the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP)
, you must receive a rating of category CAT C to be rated as "well qualified" to receive special selection priority.
The following documents are required and must be provided with your application. All application materials, including transcripts, must be in English.
Please note that if you do not provide all required information, as specified in this announcement, your application will be determined incomplete, and you will not be considered for this position (or may not receive the special consideration for which you may be eligible).
- Resume - Your resume MUST contain dates of employment (i.e., month/year to month/year or to present). To ensure you receive full credit for relevant experience, include the hours worked per week. We recommend that your resume not exceed 5 pages, only the first 5 pages will be reviewed to determine your eligibility/qualifications. If including Federal service experience, provide pay plan, series and grade, i.e. GS-0301-09. Your resume must NOT include photographs, inappropriate content, or personal information such as age, gender, religion, social security number. If your resume does not contain the required information specified, or contains prohibited information as listed above, your application will be determined incomplete, and you will not receive consideration for this position. (Cover letters are optional.) Please view Resume Tips.
- Online Application - Questionnaire
- Education - See Education Section above
- Registration/License (if applicable) - active, current registration/license
- Veterans' Preference (if applicable) - You MUST submit a copy of your DD-214 (Member 4 copy), or other official documentation from a branch of the Armed Forces or the Department of Veterans Affairs showing dates of service and type of discharge. If you are serving under active duty, provide certification from the Armed Forces that you will be discharged or released within 120 days from the date of certification. The certification must indicate your dates of service, rank and that you will be separated under honorable conditions. Submit an Application for 10-point Veteran Preference, SF-15, along with the required documentation listed on the back of the form if you are a 10-point preference eligible. For more information on veterans' preference view FedsHireVets.
- Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) (if applicable) - You MUST submit the required documentation as outlined at: Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP). If you are an IRS CTAP eligible, you can apply for jobs within and outside the commuting area. If you are a Treasury CTAP eligible can apply for jobs within the commuting area.
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) (if applicable) - If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee, click Interchange Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) for eligibility and a detailed list of required documents.
- High School Diploma (or equivalent) - If you are 16 or 17 years of age, you MUST submit documentation of graduation from high school (or equivalent); OR completion of a formal vocational training program; OR statement from school authorities agreeing with your decision to pursue employment rather than continuing your education.
The following instructions outline our application process. You must complete this application process and submit any required documents by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time (ET) on 03/25/2024 and/or cut-off dates in this announcement. We are available to assist you during business hours (normally 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. ET, Monday - Friday). If applying online poses a hardship, please contact us by noon ET on 03/25/2024.
To preview the Application Questionnaire, please click the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/11936380
- To begin the application process, click the "Apply Online" button.
- You will be re-directed to USA STAFFING to complete your application process; answer the online questions and submit all required documents. (To submit supporting documents, import documents from USAJOBS to the appropriate document types. If the document you need was not imported from USAJOBS, you may upload it directly into this application. To protect your privacy, we suggest you first remove your SSN).
- To complete, you must click the "Submit Application" button prior to 11:59 PM (ET) on 03/25/2024.
To update your application, including supporting documentation, at any time during the announcement open period, return to your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login
). There you will find a record of your application, the application status, and an option to Update Application. This option will no longer be available once the announcement has closed.
To verify the status of your application both during and after the announcement open period, log into your USAJOBS account: https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login
. All of your applications will appear on the Welcome
page. The application record in your USAJOBS account provides an Additional Application Information
page that provides information regarding the documentation you submitted and any correspondence we have sent related to this application. The Application Status
will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status
means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/
Treasury believes in a working environment that supports inclusion; please view our reasonable accommodation policies and procedures at https://www.jobs.irs.gov/midcareer/reasonable-accommodation.html. We provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities on a case-by-case basis; contact us if you require this for any part of the application and hiring process.
Once your application package and online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email. You are responsible for checking status updates and notifications in USAJOBS. Hard copy notifications will not be sent to you. You may check the status of your application for this position at any time by logging onto the USAJOBS "My Account" tab and clicking on "Application Status." For a more detailed update of your application status, you may click on "more information." Please notify us if your contact information changes after the closing date of the announcement. If your email mailbox is full or blocked (SPAM) you may not receive important communication that could affect your consideration for this position.