Open & closing dates
Opening and closing dates
09/22/2021 to 12/17/2021
Pay scale & grade
$89,480 to $183,300 per year
Term - 3 years
Few vacancies in the following location:
Yes as determined by agency policy
This job is open to
U.S. citizens, nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S.
Click on "Learn more about this agency" button below to view Eligibilities being considered and other IMPORTANT information.
Learn more about this agency
The primary purpose of this position is to serve as Head Department of Aeronautics and Astrolnautics.
- Performs managerial and administrative duties in the Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics.
- Provides technical and administrative direction to a work force of approximately 40 personnel who are engaged in teaching assignments, research and research supervision and supporting technical and clerical work.
- Performs the full range of managerial duties involved in planning, program management, work assignment and review, technical responsibility, and personnel management.
- Participates with the Dean in formulating plans, organizational objectives, policies, priorities, and procedures to ensure that the intended mission is implemented in a timely and efficient manner.
- Directs department work activities by assigning specific responsibilities
- Provides budget forecasting and justification for use in overall school program planning
- Provides the necessary technical and administrative instructions concerning program philosophy objectives, policy interpretations, and internal procedures.
- Implements, promotes, and effectively supports equal opportunity for all personnel and follows provisions or applicable labor agreements, and applicable directives pertaining to personnel management.
- Conducts work evaluation reviews based on criteria either self-imposed or established by the Dean or higher authority.
- Reviews adherence to guidance, policy, and deadlines on a selected basis; takes necessary corrective action where deficiencies are evident.
- Performs faculty duties such as instructing doctoral and master of science students in the broad disciplines of aeronautical and astronautical engineering.
- Develops, directs, and evaluates the research activity of graduate students.
- Personally carries out a creative and significant, externally funded research program.
- Provides consulting services to Air Force laboratories and program offices in areas of expertise.
- Participates in faculty governance of the Institute and in activities of professional societies related to the activities of the department.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Conditions Of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship Required
- Must be registered for Selective Service, see Legal and Regulatory Guide
- The selected candidate will be subject to a security investigation leading to successful completion of a background investigation with a favorable adjudication
- Recruitment incentives may be authorized
- Disclosure of Political Appointments
- This is a drug testing designated position. The incumbent is subject to random drug testing for drug use
- Employee may be required to work other than normal duty hours, to include evenings, weekends and/or holidays
- Employee must maintain current certifications
- This job is being filled by an alternative hiring process and is not in the competitive civil service. This is an Administratively Determined position in the excepted service
- Doctoral degree (see ?Qualifications? for required academic disciplines)
- Travel by military or commercial transportation to gather ideas for improving the curriculum, establish research contacts and agreements, conduct research, and present results of research may be required
- Appointment is under Schedule A appointing authority, Excepted Appointment Not-to-Exceed 3 years and is renewable for 1 ? 5 years or an indefinite appointment
- The appointment cannot be converted to a permanent tenure in the competitive service
- Current Federal employees on a permanent or indefinite appointment will be required to have a minimum of 3 day break in service if selected
- Travel and relocation expenses WILL NOT be paid
- Applicants must possess an earned doctoral degree in aeronautical, aerospace, astronautical, mechanical engineering, or a closely related field with recognized excellence in research, exhibit a strong research publication record, extensive experience with externally funded research, and sound academic and professional leadership abilities
- Credentials to be appointed the academic rank of (full) professor in the Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics.
- Possess the ability to communicate clearly and expertly (in English) in both verbal and written forms concerning academic, administrative, and technical subject matters.
- Experience in academic and/or professional leadership.
- Experience in academic administration and management.
Separate statement addressing how the applicant meets all of the required qualifications (Mandatory Qualifications Statement)
Separate statement addressing how the applicant meets the desired qualifications. (Desired Qualifications Statement)
Separate leadership statement that addresses your philosophy/approach to leading and managing an academic department.
ARE YOU USING YOUR EDUCATION TO QUALIFY? If position has a positive degree requirement or education forms the basis for qualifications, you MUST submit transcriptswith the application. Official transcripts are not required at the time of application; however, if position has a positive degree requirement, qualifying based on education alone or in combination with experience; transcripts must be verified prior to appointment. An accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education must accredit education. Click here to check accreditation.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying.
The position will be an initial three year appointment with a one-year probationary period, with the potential for continued reappointment for additional 3-5 year terms.
This job is being filled by an alternative hiring process and is not in the competitive civil service. Late applications from veterans will not be accepted for faculty positions. Late applications for veterans only apply when filling positions in the competitive service.
Individuals who are eligible for Schedule A, 213.3102(u) appointments cannot be referred under the Air Force Selective Placement Program process for faculty positions. Schedule A applicants must email a completed application package to the address specified in the "How to Apply" section and it must be received by the closing date of the announcement. Late or incomplete application packages will not be considered.
Employed Annuitants (Reemployed Annuitants): Applicants in receipt of an annuity based on civilian employment in the Federal Service are subject to the DoD Policy on The Employment of Annuitants. Click here for more information.
Current Federal Civilian employees may apply for temporary and term positions and if selected, a break in service may be required prior to appointment to the position.
Temporary and Term Appointments: If you are selected for a temporary or term position in the competitive service, your appointment may be extended to the maximum period allowed by law without further competition.
Selective Service: Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service. For additional information, click here.
Direct Deposit: All federal employees are required to have direct deposit.
AFIT is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants with disabilities. The Air Force believes that diversity is essential to accomplishing its mission. AFIT highly values individuals who have a demonstrated ability to work successfully with and help develop individuals of diverse backgrounds and perspectives. For the Air Force, diversity encompasses: personal life experiences, geographic background, socioeconomic background, cultural knowledge, educational background, work background, language abilities, physical abilities, philosophical/spiritual perspectives, age, race, ethnicity, and gender.
Application materials become the property of AFIT and WILL NOT be returned.
Applications submitted under this announcement will be considered ONLY for this vacancy.
Travel and relocation expenses WILL Not be paid.
If you have questions regarding this announcement and have hearing or speech difficulties click here.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
Applicants possessing the required qualifications as contained within this announcement will be evaluated and ranked by a Faculty-Rating Panel
based on the extent to which their experience and education relate to the requirements of the position. A personal interview and presentation
to the faculty may be required of the top applicants.
Applicants will be assessed based on their teaching credentials, scholarship, service, and education. Your application package (curriculum vitae,
OFFICIAL transcripts, supporting documents, etc.) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position.
Please follow all instructions carefully. An incomplete package will result in non-consideration of your application.
AFIT is dedicated to the goal of building a pluralistic faculty committed to a multicultural environment that enriches the educational experience
of our students. Hence, we are especially interested in candidates whose teaching, life experience and/or research interests contribute to a
climate that values and uses diversity in all its forms. Interested persons should submit a curriculum vitae and a statement of interest that
addresses the ways in which the applicant's qualifications meet the requirements of the ad to include evidence of teaching excellence, promise
of research productivity, and commitment to diversity/inclusion. Additional documents are required to complete your application package,
please reference the "How to Apply" and "Required Documents" section for more information.
Applicants who disqualify themselves will not be evaluated further.
Background checks and security clearance
The following documents are required and must be received by the closing date of the announcement.
- Letter of application (cover letter)
- Curriculum vitae (resume)- If your curriculum vitae/resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, you will not be considered for this vacancy. Your resume may be submitted in any format. For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., hour per week and month/day/year to month/day/year or month/day/year to present). Resumes that do not contain this information may be marked as insufficient and applicants may not receive consideration for this position.
- Separate Mandatory Qualifications statement
- Separate Desired Qualifications statement
- Transcripts -You MUST provide original copies of ALL OFFICIAL transcripts. A Doctoral/Master's/Bachelor's degree is required, but ALL OFFICIAL transcripts must be provided for ALL degrees being pursued or obtained (or letter of degree completion if an OFFICIAL transcript is not available due to recent graduation) to support your educational claims as stated in your curriculum vitae. Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Legible photocopies of OFFICIAL transcripts are acceptable for initial application submission. However, if selected, you will be required to provide (original) copies of your OFFICIAL transcripts. For a transcript to be considered OFFICIAL, it should be printed on university letterhead and the registrar's official seal/signature must appear on the transcript. Your transcripts must also reflect the degree awarded/conferred date. Transcripts labeled UNOFFICIAL will not be accepted.
- U.S. Equivalency from a Department of Education approved (non-federal) credentialing agency (i.e. AICE, NACES), who will complete a U.S. Standard of Education Conversion for education completed in foreign colleges or universities.
- List of three professional references (to include name, complete mailing address and phone number)
- Three letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with your professional work is highly desired.
- Statement of Teaching
- Statement of Research interests
- Veterans' preference documents, if applicable (i.e. DD-214, SF-15, Veterans Affairs letter for federal employment)
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from
schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
How to Apply
The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (ET) on
To begin the process, click the Apply Online button to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. Follow the prompts to complete the application questionnaire. Please ensure you click the Submit My Application button at the end of the process.
A complete application package will include a letter of application (cover letter), curriculum vitae, statement of citizenship, legible copies of ALL OFFICIAL transcripts. A Doctoral/Master's/Bachelor's degree is required, but ALL OFFICIAL transcripts must be provided for ALL degrees being pursued or obtained as stated in your curriculum vitae, and a list of three professional references (to include names, complete mailing addresses, and telephone numbers) are required. Three letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with your professional work is highly desired.
An incomplete package will result in non-consideration of your application.
Your curriculum vitae may include detailed information in the following areas, as appropriate (if applicable):[SDPGUAHA1]
1. Teaching Accomplishments: Include teaching experience and teaching awards.
2. Professional Accomplishments: Include research, consultations, publications, and awards.
3. Service Accomplishments: Include membership, leadership roles, nature of service and contribution in collegial and/or professional organizations, societies, etc.
If you are claiming veterans' preference, please provide basic eligibility information in your cover letter. Also include in your application a copy of your DD-214 (Member Copy 4) and, if disabled, a completed SF-15 (Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference), along with a letter for federal employment from the Department of Veterans Affairs indicating your service-connected disability rating.
IF APPLICABLE: An active duty military member's statement of service/certification letter will be accepted in lieu of a DD-214. The statement/certification letter can be obtained from your servicing military personnel office and must be signed by, or by direction of, the adjutant, personnel officer, or commander of your unit or higher headquarters and must indicate your rank, dates of active duty service, and type of discharge/character of service (i.e. honorable). Your preference and/or appointment eligibility will be verified prior to appointment. Military members may be appointed before the effective date of their military separation, if member is on terminal leave, and if applicable, with the appropriate 180-day approved waiver.
PLEASE NOTE: It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information entered and/or uploaded, (i.e., resume) is received, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. You may verify your documents have been processed with your application package successfully. You can access your USAJOBS account to do so by clicking here. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan.
Human Resources WILL NOT modify or change any answers submitted by an applicant.
Faxed. Mailed or incomplete applications WILL NOT be accepted or considered -- NO EXCEPTIONS.
Once your application package is received an acknowledgement email will be sent.
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application.Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility and qualifications for consideration. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
To check the status of your application or return to a previous or incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account, select My Applications, and click on the more information link under the application status for this position.
If you do not provide an email address, you are responsible for checking status updates and notifications in USAJOBS. Hard copy notifications will not be sent to you.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance