Open & closing dates
Opening and closing dates
09/14/2021 to 12/31/2021
Pay scale & grade
GS 4 - 5
$31,520 to $45,857 per year
GS-4: $31,520 - $40,974 | GS-5: $35,265 - $45,847
1 vacancy in the following location:
This job is open to
U.S. citizens, nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S.
Career transition (CTAP, ICTAP, RPL)
Federal employees who meet the definition of a "surplus" or "displaced" employee.
Native Americans or Alaskan Natives with a tribal affiliation.
Clarification from the agency
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Health Technician (Certified Medical Assistant) position located within the Clinical Department at the Whiteriver Service Unit, Whiteriver, Arizona. The Incumbent will serves as front-line health care personnel and performs a combination of technical (non-professional medical) and administrative tasks related to the treatment and care of patients in a hospital inpatient/ambulatory environment. Incumbent will report to the Assistant Clinical Director.
Learn more about this agency
- Prepares and administers prescribed medication by oral, topical, intradermal, subcutaneous and intramuscular and intravascular routes; monitors patient after medication administration for reactions and complications
- Participates in pre-visit planning for scheduled patients. Communicates the patient needs and recommended treatment to the patient's healthcare team.
- Performs procedures within the scope of practice to include sterile dressing application and packing, suture/staple application and removal; assists physician in performing diagnostic, therapeutic, and minor surgical procedures.
- Coordinates clinical flow within the clinical care team. Plans, organizes and allocates/adjusts resources in response to workload and priority changes.
- Incorporates and applies protocols in health promotion for well populations as well as treatment interventions for chronic conditions (i.e. Diabetes, Renal and heart disease, etc.).
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Conditions Of Employment
Selectee may be subject to a probationary period
U.S. Citizenship is required
Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
This is a designated position covered by Public Law 101-630, requiring contact or control over Indian children. Upon tentative selection, selectee will be requested to complete, sign, and submit the Addendum to OF-306, Child Care & Indian Child Care Worker Position form. Due to this requirement, the agency must ensure that persons hired for these positions have not been found guilty of or pleaded nolo contendere or guilty to certain crimes.
Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
On-call hours or standby duty may be required.
Must have a bank account at a financial institution for electronic direct deposit of salary payment.
Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprinting, as part of the background investigation process, may be delayed due to COVID-19. All other background investigation procedures will apply. Be advised that your continued employment will require you to complete a fingerprint check within 60 days after notification of return to full operations and successfully obtaining a favorable background investigation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges. You may be subject to a credit check as a part of the background investigation process.
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
GS-04 Grade Level: Your resume must demonstrate at least six (6) months of general experience AND six (6) months of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-03 grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector performing the following type of work and/or tasks: Examples include: performing clinical duties such as taking and recording vital signs and preparing patients for examination, typical of medical assistant or health education positions.
Completion of 2 full years of study that included at least 12 semester hours in subjects directly related to the position such as anatomy and medical terminology.
Posses a combination of education and experience that when combined meet the requirement for the GS-04 grade level. A combination of education and experience may be used to qualify for this position. The total percentage equals at least 100 percent to qualify for this GS-04 grade level.
GS-05 Grade Level: Your resume must demonstrate at least one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-04 grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector performing the following type of work and/or tasks: Example includes: determining patient assessment, distinguishing between normal and abnormal findings, and administering intervention as prescribed by the provider, typical of medical assistant or health education positions.
Completion of a (4) year course of study leading to a bachelor's degree, with major study or at least 24 semester hours in subjects directly related to the position.
Posses a combination of education and experience that when combined meet the requirement for the GS-05 grade level. A combination of education and experience may be used to qualify for this position. The total percentage equals at least 100 percent to qualify for this GS-05 grade level.
This position contains a Selective Placement Factor that is not required at this entry grade level, however, the certification must be obtained within a year. Therefore, completion of Medical Assistant training program is not required but preferred.
When there is a positive education requirement, or you are using education to qualify as a substitution for experience, transcripts (unofficial) are required at the time of application to verify that you meet the educational requirement or substitution.
Only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education may be credited. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: https://www.ed.gov/accreditation
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave.
This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
This position has promotion potential to the GS-07 grade level. Promotion to the next grade level is at management's discretion and is based on your demonstrated ability to perform the higher level duties, the continuing need for the higher level duties, and "Regulatory/Administrative" approval. Promotion to the next higher grade level is not guaranteed and no promise of promotion is implied.
How You Will Be Evaluated
If you meet the minimum qualifications requirements for this position, your application will be evaluated and rated under Category Rating selection procedures. Once the application process is complete, a review of your qualifications will be conducted to determine if you are qualified for this job. Qualified candidates will be assigned to a quality category. The quality categories are: Best Qualified, Well Qualified, or Qualified. Within each of these categories, applicants eligible for veteran's preference will receive selection priority over non-preference eligibles.
Please note that if, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, your category rating can and will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities, or you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
To determine if you are qualified for this position, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against the qualifications as defined in the qualifications section of this vacancy announcement and your responses to the assessment questions. You will be rated based on the information provided in your resume (your resume must state specific duties that relate to this position) and your responses to the assessment questions will be evaluated against the duties you provided in your resume, along with your submitted documentation to determine your ability to demonstrate the following.
- Customer Service
The following links below provide information on how you may be eligible for various hiring authorities. If you are a Veteran, qualified CTAP and ICTAP eligible, or an individual with a disability, please refer to the following links below for additional guidance. CTAP and ICTAP candidates will be eligible for selection priority if it is determined that they have exceeded the minimum qualifications for the position by attaining at least a "well qualified" rating of 85 out of 100. Information about CTAP and ICTAP eligibility is on the Office of Personnel Management's Workforce Restructuring Career Transition website at: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/
. CTAP/ICTAP documentation requirements are listed in the "Required Documents" section of this announcement.
Click here to view vacancy questions: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/11012825
. All documents above MUST be received by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date of, 12/31/2021, to be considered.
Background checks and security clearance
Resume: You are highly encouraged to use USAJOBS Resume Builder to ensure all required information is included in your Resume. If you use your own resume, curriculum vitae, or any other written form you choose then you must describe your job-related qualifications that includes beginning and ending dates for paid and non-paid work experience, hours worked per week, month and year of employment for each job title listed, annual salary, and description of job duties. Include name and address of employer; supervisor name and telephone number.
Required as applicable for the purposes of specific eligibility and appointment claim(s), and position requirements:
- Indian Preference Applicants: If claiming Indian Preference, applicants must provide a completed copy of the Form BIA-4432, "Verification of Indian Preference for Employment in the BIA and IHS Only." Indian Preference will not be given unless a properly signed and dated form is submitted with your application, including any verification by an authorized Tribal Representative or BIA Official of tribal enrollment records. For detailed instructions, see form BIA-4432. Refer to BIA-4432 link: https://www.bia.gov/sites/bia.gov/files/assets/public/raca/online_forms/pdf/Expires-3-31-21_1076-0160_Verification-IP-Application_508.pdf. When an Indian Preference candidate possesses Veteran's Preference the rules regarding Veteran's Preference apply under ESEP and the applicant must provide documentation in order to receive preference.
- Applicants Unable to Obtain a Completed BIA Form 4432 - We understand that some applicants with Indian Preference (IP) have been unable to obtain a signed BIA Form 4432 from their Tribes to demonstrate that they are enrolled Tribe members, since Tribal Government Offices have closed during this pandemic. Normally, applicants must provide this form at the time of application. However, the IHS will make an exception enabling applicants to provide the BIA Form 4432, Certificate of Indian Blood (CIB) or other Tribal enrollment documentation after they apply. This will allow IHS hiring officials to select and bring the applicant on board without delay. The IHS HR Office effecting the hire shall flag the hire as on requiring the applicant to submit the necessary Tribal enrollment documentation at a later date. Once the COVID-19 period officially ends and full operations have been restored, IHS will require applicants to obtain and submit the signed, official Tribal enrollment form within 60 days. If the new employee fails to obtain the signed enrollment form, IHS will terminate the employee.
- Veterans Preference: If claiming Veteran's Preference provide a copy of your DD214 Form (Member 4 copy). To claim 10-Point Veteran's Preference, submit a SF-15 Application (http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF15.pdf) along with the appropriate supporting documentation. For additional information regarding Veteran's Preference visit: http://www.fedshirevets.gov.
- Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): If you are claiming CTAP/ICTAP, follow the instructions below: http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/ctap_guideline.pdf.
- Transcripts, Degrees, Licensure, Certifications: Copies of Transcripts (Official or Unofficial), Degrees, Licenses, and/or Certifications are not required at the time of application. Applicants must list their education history including the type of degree(s) and major of study, and completion or anticipated completion (month and year) on their resume. If a position requires a certain number of credit hours in specific course work for qualification purposes, applicants must submit a transcript (official/unofficial) or provide documentation/list the relevant courses on their resume.
- Applicants Unable to Obtain Transcripts - In addition, applicants may have difficulty obtaining their transcripts from their university or college when they try to apply for a position that requires them. As with Tribal enrollment documents, the IHS will make an exception enabling applicants to provide the transcripts after they apply. This will allow IHS hiring officials to select and bring the applicant on board without delay. The IHS HR Office effecting the hire shall flag the hire as on requiring the applicant to submit the necessary transcripts within 60 days after the COVID-19 period officially ends. If the new employee fails to obtain the transcripts, IHS will terminate the employee
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: 12/31/2021
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from
schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package. See required documents below.
- Click 'Apply' to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account.
- Follow the prompts to upload your resume and/or supporting documents.
- Read all Eligibility questions and respond accordingly. .
- Complete the assessment questions.
- Verify all required documentation is included in your application package
For additional questions please see our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) found here: http://www.ihs.gov/jobs/index.cfm?module=search&option=faq
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJobs account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJobs that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJobs Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the human resources office posting this announcement.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered and uploaded are received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
~ ~ ~ Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer ~ ~ ~
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance