This position is being recruited under 10 USC 1599f into the Cyber Excepted Service and does NOT convey eligibility to be converted to the Competitive Service. It has been identified as a position necessary to carry out and support the mission of the US Cyber Command.
Clarification from the agency
All US Citizens. This announcement is intended to be used to collect resumes for future positions. This may or may not result in a referral. As vacancies occur, applicants will be considered for referral and will receive notification at that time.
Duties may vary based on organization and work role of the position selected for but may include the following:
- Serves as a technical analyst and primary customer liaison with responsibility for resolving difficult customer problems involving integration or configuration issues of a wide variety of applications, and desktop configurations
- Provides technical advice and assistance to include troubleshooting, diagnosing, and resolving customer application problems in response to reported or observed incidents and ensures critical business activities are carried out.
- Researches, evaluates, and provides feedback on problematic trends and patterns in customer support requirements for new or modified systems and services based upon an analysis of business needs and practices.
- Reviews, validates, and standardizes problem resolutions for inclusion in the problem resolution database.
- Applies information security/information assurance policies, principles, and practices in the delivery of customer services.
- Coordinates, executes, implements, and maintains the installation and operation of customer application systems.
- Develops specifications for user instruction manuals based upon customer needs.
- Develops and manages customer performance requirements and customer support policies and procedures.
- Serves as the technical analyst and resolves the complete range of problems within the scope of the activity operations and refers operational problems requiring specialized expertise to the appropriate technical expert.
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a U.S. Citizen.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service.
- This national security position, which may require access to classified information, requires a favorable suitability review and security clearance as a condition of employment. Failure to maintain security eligibility may result in termination.
- Drug testing may be required.
- Shift work may be required.
- Recall/On Call 24/7 may be required.
- Rotating shifts may be required.
- Incumbent may be required to complete Foundational and/or Residential Qualification requirements and any future Cybersecurity Workforce qualification/credentialing requirements as defined by the DoD 8140 policy.
- Position may be designated as Mission Essential and incumbent may be required to report to work or relocate to a new duty location, within the United States, in times of local/national emergency.
- The position may require the selectee to hold a current DoD Top Secret security clearance based upon a Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI).
- Prospective candidates may have to meet criteria for Presidential Support Duty in accordance with DoD Directive 5210.55 (PSD Category II, minimum).
- Security Clearance level may be Secret, Top Secret or Yankee White.
- This position may require an OGE 450, Confidential Financial Disclosure Report required within 30 days of appointment pursuant to 5 CFR 2634.903(b) (DoD 5500.7).
- The incumbent may have to obtain Acquisition certification in the Test and Evaluation Functional Area at the Practitioner Functional Tier within 60 months of entry into this position.
- Salary plus Cost-of-Living Allowance (COLA) is authorized for Ford Island/Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. This rate is subject to change without notice.
- Information Assurance (IA) Certification may be required.
Positions will be filled as vacancies occur. The Full Performance Level (FPL) may be either GG-07, GG-09,GG-11, or GG-12 and is determined based on the position being filled. Management has the discretion to select candidates at grade levels below the FPL and promotions are not guaranteed.
In order to qualify for this position, you must meet the requirements described below.
Applicants must have IT-related experience demonstrating the following competencies appropriate to, or above, the level of this position. For vacancies below the full-performance level of the position, the basic requirement will be evaluated on a developmental basis. Your resume and work experience should clearly support your ability to meet these competencies and will be evaluated as part of the entire application process.
- Attention to Detail - Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
- Customer Service - Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
- Oral Communication - Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
- Problem Solving - Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
To qualify your resume must describe at least one year of experience that demonstrates the competencies necessary for immediate success in the position. Experience refers to any paid or unpaid experience, including volunteer work and Military service, that would be considered equivalent to work normally performed at the next lower grade level in the federal service.
For the GG-07 position, qualifying experience is defined as: Experience assisting and researching customer desktop issues.
For the GG-09 position, qualifying experience is defined as: Experience assisting, troubleshooting, documenting customer inquiries, and/or providing technical advice and assistance to customers.
For the GG-11 position, qualifying experience is defined as: Experience troubleshooting computer problems in a manner that minimizes interruptions.
For the GG-12 position, qualifying experience is defined as: Experience resolving customer problems with system integration, research, evaluation of configuration issues with applications and/or desktop configurations.
Candidates must describe how they meet the qualifying experience and/or selective placement factor(s) within the body of their resume. All qualifications must be met within 30 days after submitting application.
GG-07 Substitution of Education for Experience: One full year of graduate level education in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management; or superior academic achievement (SAA) with a degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks, may be substituted to meet the specialized experience requirement.
GG-9 Substitution of Education for Experience: Master's degree or equivalent graduate degree or 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Master's degree or equivalent graduate degree in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management or degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks.
GG-11 Substitution of Education for Experience: Qualifying Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management or degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks.
There is no substitution of education for the qualifying experienceat the GG-12 grade level
To be creditable, education must have been obtained in an accredited college or university. You must report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions that are recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services at the time of application. National Association of Credential Evaluation Services .
- If you are a current Federal Career/Career-Conditional employee, you will be placed on an Excepted appointment.
- This appointment does not confer eligibility to be non-competitively converted to an appointment in the competitive service.
- Some selected positions may result in an eligibility to receive the Targeted Local Market Supplement (TLMS) which is dependent upon the DoD Cyber Workforce Framework (DCWF) work role assigned to the position occupied. Actual TLMS salary to be determined at time of selection.
- Positions will be filled as vacancies occur. The Full Performance Level (FPL) may be either GG-07, GG-09, GG-11, GG-12 and is determined based on the position being filled. Management has the discretion to select candidates at grade levels below the FPL and promotions are not guaranteed.
- This position is covered under DoD Manual 8140 which will be subject to future Cyber Workforce requirements as defined by the Manual.
- A three year trial period may be required if you have not previously completed a trial or probationary period in the excepted or competitive service.
- Telework availability will be based upon supervisory determination.
- Individuals tentatively selected for drug testing designated positions will be required to submit to urinalysis for illegal drugs prior to appointment.
- We may use this announcement to fill additional vacancies within 90 days of the closing date
- Moving costs MAY be paid.
- The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 makes certain reimbursements/payments taxable. For information on these changes and the Relocation Income Tax Allowance (RITA), for which some appointees are eligible, click here.
- Recruitment, relocation, or retention incentives MAY be authorized.
- Salary will be determined based on the duty location.
- The Department of Defense (DoD) policy on employment of annuitants issued March 18, 2004 will be used in determining eligibility of annuitants. It applies to former Federal civilian employees receiving a retirement annuity from the Civil Service Retirement and Disability Fund that are hired within the DoD on or after November 24, 2003. The policy also applies to annuitants (appointed in DoD on/or after November 24, 2003) who move from one position to another within DoD through voluntary reassignment, promotion, change to lower grade or transfer between military departments. Please see this policy here.
- Because this position is in the Cyber Excepted Service, Veterans' Preference will be applied to preference eligible candidates, as defined by Section 2108 of the Title 5 U.S.C. in accordance with the procedures provided in DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 3005, "CES Employment and Placement." If you are a veteran claiming veteran's preference, as defined by Section 2108 of Title 5 U.S.C., you must submit documents verifying your eligibility with your application package.
- PPP Application Based Preference Eligibles (Military Reserve and National Guard technicians, Military Reserve and National Guard technicians receiving disability retirement, and Retained Grade employees) will receive priority consideration at the full performance level only.
- For more information on the Cyber Excepted Service Personnel System, click here.
- For more information on veterans' preference, click here.
- For more information regarding qualifications requirements, click here.
- All applicants are encouraged to apply electronically. If you are unable to apply on-line, you may contact 317-212-0454 for assistance.
A career with the U.S. government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Opens in a new windowLearn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the application process is complete, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the applicant questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. Referrals will be issued based on self-rating results and a qualifications review will be conducted at the time of selection. If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating.
FOR THIS JOB ANNOUNCEMENT THE FOLLOWING SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS ARE REQUIRED AS THEY APPLY STATED BELOW AND MUST BE RECEIVED BY THE CLOSE OF THE ANNOUNCEMENT. NOT ALL DOCUMENTS WILL APPLY TO EVERYONE.
- Transcripts (if applicable) If you are substituting education for specialized experience you must submit all of your transcripts. The absence of this information will result in an ineligible rating.
- SF-50 - (if applicable) Notification of Personnel Action for current or former federal employees- All applicants to include current agency employees must provide your most recent SF50 or the SF50 reflecting Career/Career-Conditional tenure and the highest grade held on a permanent basis.
- Veterans Preference Documentation (if applicable): Candidates claiming Veterans Preference must submit a DD-214 (Member Copy 4), or, if you are CURRENTLY serving on active duty, a statement of service from your unit which states the date you entered on active duty, the date you are separating, and the campaign medals you have received. For those supplying the statement of service, preference will be verified by a DD-214 (Member Copy 4) upon separation from the military. Veterans with a service-connected disability must also submit a VA letter dated 1991 or later. DoD Components with CES positions apply Veterans' Preference to preference eligible candidates, as defined by Section 2108 of the Title 5 U.S.C. in accordance with the procedures provided in DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 3005, "CES Employment and Placement."
- Military Spouse Preference (MSP) Eligible: Military Spouse Preference applicants, must be selected and placed at the highest grade level for which they have applied and been determined best qualified up to and including the full performance level. You must include a completed copy of the Military Spouse PPP Self-Certification Checklist dated within 30 days along with the documents identified on the checklist to verify your eligibility for Military Spouse Preference. Click here to obtain a copy of the Military Spouse PPP Self-Certification Checklist.
- Military Reserve (MR) and National Guard (NG) Technicians PPP Eligible: MR and NG technicians PPP applicants must be selected and placed at the full performance level if determined well qualified. You must include a completed copy of the Military Reserve and National Guard Technician PPP Self-Certification Checklist to verify your eligibility for Military Reserve and National Guard Technician preference. Click here to obtain a copy of the Military Reserve and National Guard Technician PPP Self-Certification Checklist.
- Military Reserve (MR) and National Guard (NG) Technicians Receiving Disability Retirement PPP Eligible: MR and NG technicians receiving disability retirement PPP applicants must be selected and placed at the full performance level if determined well qualified. You must include a completed copy of the Military Reserve and National Guard Technician Disability PPP Self-Certification Checklist to verify your eligibility for Military Reserve and National Guard Technician Disability preference. Click here to obtain a copy of the Military Reserve and National Guard Technician Disability PPP Self-Certification Checklist.
- Retained Grade PPP Eligible: Retained Grade PPP applicants, must be selected and placed at the full performance level if determined well qualified. You must include a completed copy of the Retained Grade PPP Self-Certification Checklist to verify your eligibility for Retained Grade preference. Click here to obtain a copy of the Retained Grade PPP Self-Certification Checklist.
Your complete Application Package (containing the above required documents) must be received no later than 11:59 pm Eastern Time on 02/26/2024.
WARNING: Failure to submit a complete application package including any required documentation by 11:59 PM (EST) on 02/26/2024, or at the time of application for announcements with an extended closing date, may result in an ineligible rating and loss of consideration. To verify that your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, select Application Status and More Information. The Details page will display the status of your application. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information entered, uploaded is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from
schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package. See required documents below.
- Your Resume
- Your resume MUST include the following information for each job listed: Job title; duties (be as detailed as possible); month & year start/end dates (e.g. June 2007 to April 2008); and full- time or part-time status (include hours worked per week). Read more about what should I include in my federal resume at USAJOBS.
- DO NOT include the following information: Classified or government sensitive information; Social Security Number; Photos of yourself; Personal information, such as age, gender, religious affiliation, etc.; or encrypted and digitally signed documents. Read more about what should I leave out of my resume? at USAJOBS
- A complete Assessment Questionnaire (if applicable)
- Other required supporting documents: (SEE THE SECTION OF THIS ANNOUNCEMENT ENTITLED "REQUIRED DOCUMENTS" FOR MORE INFORMATION ON WHAT SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS MAY BE NEEDED)
Click 'Apply Online' to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account.
- Follow the prompts to complete the assessment questionnaire and upload required documents.
- Please ensure you click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application.
- Check application status by logging into your USAJOBS account, clicking Application Status, then More Information for this position. Return to an incomplete application by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
Once the complete application package is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. The content of your application package will be used to assess your qualifications for the job, and to determine whether you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps has been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.