See below for important information regarding this job.
Additional vacancies may be filled from this announcement.
This is an open continuous job announcement. Initial application packages will be reviewed for eligibility and qualifications and issued to managementwith initial certificate on 01/01/2023.
Clarification from the agency
This announcement is open to All U.S. Citizens, and is being filled under the Direct Hire Authority (DHA) for Certain Personnel of the Department of Defense.
- Implements agency policy and provides expert engineering support.
- Analyzes engineering surveillance applications and developments.
- Administers contracts in accordance with agency policies/standards/metrics and standard operating procedures for Department of Defense (DoD) acquisitions.
- Assesses/records contractor performance using DCMA engineering surveillance performance indicators; then provides expert feedback to the Chief Engineer (CE)
- Prepares/evaluates documents regarding specific, unique, engineering/manufacturing issues.
- Provides expert feedback to the CE based upon daily application of engineering/analyses processes and agency reporting requirements.
- Performs advanced engineering functions, often in a leadership capacity, while conducting engineering and analytical surveillance.
- Monitors complex contractor engineering management systems; provides expert technical recommendations on substantive/critical/unique changes; researches/designs/develops/tests/produces engineering and analytical surveillance.
- Conducts Contract Receipt and Review (CRR) related to cost, schedule, and performance.
- The CRR functions include evaluating production engineering/ability; reviewing facilities/nonconforming hardware; evaluating logistics/support programs/master engineering planning schedules; evaluating special tooling/testing equipment.
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Security Requirements: Special Sensitive requiring incumbent to obtain a Top Secret, Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) security access.
- Appointment is subject to the completion of a favorable suitability or fitness determination, where reciprocity cannot be applied; unfavorably adjudicated background checks will be grounds for removal.
- Selective Service Requirement: Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service.
To qualify for an Interdisciplinary Engineer position your resume and supporting documentation must support:
A. Basic Requirement:
- A Bachelor's Degree or higher in professional engineering. To be acceptable, the program must: (1) be in a school of engineering with at least one program accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) as a professional engineering curriculum; or (2) include differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced than first-year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics: (a) statics, dynamics; (b) strength of materials (stress-strain relationships); (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d) thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials (relating particle and aggregate structure to properties); and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics. OR
- A combination of education and experience -- college-level education, training, and/or technical experience that furnished (1) a thorough knowledge of the physical and mathematical sciences underlying professional engineering, and (2) a good understanding, both theoretical and practical, of the engineering sciences and techniques and their applications to one of the branches of engineering. The adequacy of such background must be demonstrated by one of the following:
B. Specialized Experience:
- Professional Registration or Licensure -- Current registration as an Engineer Intern (EI), Engineer in Training (EIT), or licensure as a Professional Engineer (PE) by any State, the District of Columbia, Guam, or Puerto Rico. Absent other means of qualifying under this standard, those applicants who achieved such registration by means other than written test (e.g., State grandfather or eminence provisions) are eligible only for positions that are within or closely related to the specialty field of their registration. For example, an applicant who attains registration through a State Board's eminence provision as a manufacturing engineer typically would be rated eligible only for manufacturing engineering positions.
- Written Test -- Evidence of having successfully passed the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) examination or any other written test required for professional registration by an engineering licensure board in the various States, the District of Columbia, Guam, and Puerto Rico.
- Specified academic courses -- Successful completion of at least 60 semester hours of courses in the physical, mathematical, and engineering sciences and in engineering that included the courses specified in the Basic Requirements above. The courses must be fully acceptable toward meeting the requirements of a professional engineering curriculum as described in the Basic Requirements above.
- Related curriculum -- Successful completion of a curriculum leading to a bachelor's degree in an appropriate scientific field, e.g. engineering technology physics, chemistry, architecture, computer science, mathematics, hydrology, or geology, may be accepted in lieu of a bachelor's degree in engineering, provided the applicant has had at least 1 year of professional engineering experience acquired under professional engineering supervision and guidance. Ordinarily there should be either an established plan of intensive training to develop professional engineering competence, or several years of prior professional engineering-type experience, e.g., in interdisciplinary positions.
In addition to the basic requirement above, you must possess one year of specialized experience that equipped you with the competencies to successfully perform the duties of the position and is directly in or related to this position. To qualify for the NH-03 level, specialized experience must be at the NH-02 or GS-11 grade level or equivalent under other pay systems in the Federal service, military, or private sector. Creditable specialized experience includes:
- Applying software engineering/analysis principles, concepts, and standards in support of complex defense acquisition systems.
- Overseeing the Software Development Life Cycle for major Acquisition programs.
- Providing technical support for embedded software, missile systems, and sensor technologies.
- Reviewing contracts for contractor compliance.
- Providing technical advice on contract application/development changes.
- Leadership experience conducting engineering/analytical surveillance on substantive/critical/unique changes; implementing agency policy/processes.
Substitution of education may not be used in lieu of specialized experience for this grade level.
If the position has a minimum education requirement you MUST provide transcripts (unofficial are acceptable at the time of application) to support your educational claims. Or, if you are using education to qualify in lieu of specialized experience you MUST provide transcripts (unofficial are acceptable at the time of application) to support your educational claims. The transcripts must include your name, the name of the college or university, class/course list, completed number of credits/hours, and the date degree conferred (if applicable). Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Licenses must be current at time of application.
GRADUATE EDUCATION: One academic year of graduate education is considered to be the number of credits hours that your graduate school has determined to represent one academic year of full-time study. Such study may have been performed on a full-time or part-time basis. If you cannot obtain your graduate school's definition of one year of graduate study, 18 semester hours (or 27 quarter hours) should be considered as satisfying the requirement for one year of full-time graduate study.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university.
- This position does not meet criteria for appointment of Reemployed Annuitants. The DoD criteria for hiring Reemployed Annuitants can be found at: https://www.esd.whs.mil/Portals/54/Documents/DD/issuances/140025/1400.25-V300.pdf
- Tour of Duty: Flexible
- FLSA: Exempt
- Bargaining Unit: No
- If selected for an interview, you may be required to provide your last three performance appraisals to the panel.
- Selectee may be required to serve a trial/probationary period.
- Recruitment/Relocation/Retention Incentive may be authorized at Management's discretion.
- Financial Disclosure Required
- Acquisition, Technology & Logistics (AT&L) NON-CAP: Position requires DoD Acquisition Engineering & Technical Management, Foundational certification within required timeframes. Selectee must also achieve 80 hours of Continuous Learning Points (CLPs) every 2-years. Click here for more details and Resources...
A career with the U.S. government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Opens in a new windowLearn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility and/or score.
Direct Hire Evaluation: Once the application process is complete, a review of your application will be made to ensure you meet the job requirements. This vacancy will be filled through OPM's Direct Hire Authority. All applicants who meet the basic qualification requirements will be forwarded to the Selecting Official for consideration. The rule of Three, Veteran's Preference and traditional rating and ranking of applicants do not apply to this vacancy. We will evaluate your application for basic eligibility and to determine if your experience meets the basic qualification requirements described in the announcement. All applicants who meet the qualifications and other basic requirement are eligible for referral and selection consideration. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating.
Required documents for submission vary based on the authority you are using to apply (e.g., applying as a veteran, a current permanent Federal employee, a reinstatement, etc). Your complete application includes your resume, your responses to the online questionnaire, and documents which prove your eligibility to apply. If you fail to provide these documents, you will be marked as having an incomplete application package and you will not be considered any further.
The following documents are REQUIRED:
1. Your resume:
- Must include your name and contact information, dates of employment and duties performed. If multiple resumes are submitted, only the last resume submitted will be reviewed for the qualifications and referred for selection consideration if eligible. IMPORTANT NOTE: Ensure that your resume does not contain any specialized characters, fonts, typefaces or formatting (e.g. tables, macros, etc.). It is also recommended that you convert/save your resume as a PDF prior to attaching to your application.
- To ensure full credit for time worked regarding qualifications determinations your resume must include your work schedule. You are strongly encouraged to ensure your resume contains the number of hours worked per week and the specific dates of employment (i.e.,"40 hrs per week; 1/15/2020 - 1/14/2022" or "30 hrs per week; 1/15/2020 - Present").
- Applying for a Federal job requires more information than applying for a job in the private sector. Learn more about creating a suitable resume by reading What to include, viewing the Resume Writing video and using the USAJOBS Resume Builder. In addition to information identified in What to Include, provide pay plan-series-grade for Federal civilian positions, when applicable, and be sure your resume is complete.
(must include your name, the name of the college or university, class/course list, completed number of credits/hours, and the date degree conferred (if applicable): Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Licenses must be current at time of application.
PLEASE REVIEW THE LINK FOR OTHER SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS needed for proof of eligibility: Supporting Documents
- This position has a degree or education requirement so you are required to submit a copy of your transcript.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from
schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
To apply for this position, you must complete the online questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section above. To preview the questionnaire, please go to https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/12224611
.The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 11/29/2024 to receive consideration.
- To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
- Follow the prompts to select your resume and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
- You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
- It is your responsibility to verify that your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) is complete, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan.
- Additional information on how to complete the online application process and submit your online application may be found on the https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/working-in-government/.
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. Your application will be evaluated by the Human Resources Office to determine your eligibility and qualifications for the position. After the evaluation is complete, you will receive another notification regarding the status of your application.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit:https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/