Open & closing dates
Opening and closing dates
10/01/2021 to 08/31/2022
Pay scale & grade
$20.38 to $28.63 per hour
Salary will be set based upon the grade level and location at which selection is made.
Multiple Appointment Types - This announcement may be used to fill Permanent, Temporary, and/or Term positions.
Multiple Schedules - This announcement may be used to fill Full-time and Part-time positions.
Belle Vernon, PA
East Millsboro, PA
Natrona Heights, PA
New Kensington, PA
This job is open to
U.S. citizens, nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S.
About the Position: As a Lock and Dam Operator/Trainee you will operate lock/lock and dam gates, control valves, and other equipment required for a variety of private/commercial traffic through lock structure and/or maintenance of required pool levels.
Learn more about this agency
The initial cut-off for referral consideration is October 15, 2021; applications received by this date will have the first opportunity for review. Applications received after this date will be considered as additional vacancies become available.
- This is a Direct Hire Authority (DHA) solicitation utilizing the DHA for Certain Personnel of the DoD to recruit and appoint qualified candidates to positions in the competitive service.
- Handle bow or stern lines, walk lines in proper locations along the wall, and snub lines to assist pilot in maneuvering craft into position.
- Operate electric gate controls to open or close gates at one end of the lock chamber.
- Operate electrically controlled tow haulage unit to move barges into and out of lock chamber.
- Contact boat pilots to obtain data such as number of passengers, tonnage and commodities being transported, point of origin and destination, etc.
- Secure lines and slings to materials or equipment being moved and provide hand signals to operator for moving items to and from barges or trucks, or place bulkheads, etc.
- Perform a variety of tasks in providing assistance to and/or personally performing work required for the installation, repair, and maintenance of lock or lock and dam machinery and equipment of equipment of mechanical or electrical type.
- Perform carpentry or plumbing required for major construction or repair maintenance; concrete work, etc.
- Perform seasonal duties such as grass cutting, trimming, gardening; shoveling snow, clearing ice; as well as janitorial tasks such as cleaning control house and other site buildings, restrooms, facilities, standby equipment, etc.
Conditions Of Employment
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
- Testing Designated Position. This position meets criteria for random drug testing under the Department of the Army (DA) Drug-Free Federal Workplace Program.
- Mission Essential. This position is not subject to administrative dismissal in emergencies based on inclement weather conditions, or other emergency situations, as appropriate.
- Days of operations and typical daily schedules will vary based on site-specific work requirements. Work schedules and hours of operation are locally determined based on work requirements.
- May be required to wear a prescribed uniform, based on site-specific requirements.
- May be required to maintain an American Red Cross Standard First Aid card in good standing, based on site-specific requirements.
- Appropriate protective clothing and/or equipment will be provided to minimize or eliminate hazardous conditions, and its use is mandatory.
Who May Apply: US Citizens
In order to qualify, you must meet the experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document
Period of Eligibility: Your application will remain active for three (3) months from the date it is received. Unless deactivated due to selection or lost consideration, your application will expire at the end of the 3-month period. Once expired, you must submit a new application package to receive further consideration.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.There is no specific length of training or experience required. However, you must be able to demonstrate, through experience shown in your written application materials that you possess the sufficient knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the work of this position without more than normal supervision.Positions advertised fall under the USACE Inland Marine Technology System (IMTS).
- Employees participate in a formalized training and development program for Lock and Dam Operators involving on-the-job training, classroom instruction, and related correspondence courses.
- Trainee positions afford the opportunity for career progression to the intermediate grade of WY-07; and final grade of WY-08 after successful completion of training and certification requirements.
Minimum Qualifications (Screen Out Element): Ability to do the work of a LOCK AND DAM OPERATOR without more than normal supervision. At a minimum, your level of experience must show that you have performed various simple maintenance or repair tasks utilizing mechanical or electrical equipment; and operated simple electrical or mechanical equipment such as: lawn mowers, hedge clippers, electric drills, power wrenches, and hydraulic lifts. - Failure to meet this Screen Out Element will result in an ineligible rating.
In addition to the screen-out element, you will be evaluated on your level of Knowledge, Skill, Ability, and/or Competency (KSAC) in the following areas:
- Ability To Do The Work Of The position Without More Than Normal Supervision
- Ability to Interpret Instructions, Specification, etc.
- Dexterity and Safety
- Knowledge of Equipment Assembly, Installation, Repair, etc.
- Operation of Equipment and Machinery
Physical Effort: Eye and hand coordination for operating various controls and handling lines while observing traffic and personnel, during crane lifting operations, lifting dam gates, etc. There is standing, stooping, bending, occasional lifting in excess of 50 pounds, stretching, working in cramped positions, handling or maneuvering bulky items or equipment, and general continuous moderate to arduous physical activity.
Working Conditions: Preponderance of work is performed outside subject to extremes of temperature and weather, There is exposure of injuries associated with working in restricted areas (occasionally in cramped and/or uncomfortably hot or cold areas), from falling objects, from working with electrical power tools and wiring or other equipment, from working with normal manual tools, and from falls while working on lock walls, dam service bridge, etc. While possibility of drowning exists as result of falls while working around water, hazard is practically eliminated through observance of safety procedures and use of safety equipment. During maintenance operations is occasionally exposed to unpleasant fumes, dust, etc.
IMTS Lock and Dam Operator Training and Certification Program
- Newly-Appointed Lock and Dam Operators (LDOs) must successfully complete certification requirements before promotion to the full performance level may be effected.
- Certification is not a condition of employment. However, failing to meet certification requirements could result in adverse consequences.
- Certification is voluntary for Current LDOs. Although not required, current LDOs are encouraged to obtain certification as it may be helpful when seeking advancement through competitive or noncompetitive opportunities.
- IMTS-Certified LDOs must successfully complete refresher training, as required, to maintain certification.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is required.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 18 position.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). If you are a Federal employee in the competitive service and your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority for this position. To receive selection priority, you must: (1) meet ICTAP eligibility criteria (2) be rated well-qualified for the position and; (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your ICTAP eligibility. To be considered well-qualified and receive selection priority applicants must satisfy all qualification requirements for the position and receive a score of 90 or above. Additional information about the program is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
- Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is not authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is not in the Government interest.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement.
If, after reviewing your résumé and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
Veterans and Military Spouses will be considered along with all other candidates.
Background checks and security clearance
The documents you are required to submit vary based on whether or not you are eligible for preference in federal employment. A complete description of preference categories and the associated required documents is in the Applicant Checklist (External).
As described above, your complete application includes your resume, your responses to the online questionnaire, and documents which prove your eligibility to apply. If you fail to provide these documents, you will be marked as having an incomplete application package and you will not be considered any further.
1. Your resume:
- Your resume may be submitted in any format and must support the specialized experience described in this announcement.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you may not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as incomplete and you may not receive consideration for this position.
- For additional information see: What to include in your resume.
2. Other supporting documents:
- Cover Letter, optional
- Most recent Performance Appraisal, if applicable
NOTE: Documents submitted as part of the application package, to include supplemental documents, may be shared beyond the Human Resources Office. Some supplemental documents such as military orders and marriage certificates may contain personal information for someone other than you. You may sanitize these documents to remove another person's personal information before you submit your application. You may be asked to provide an un-sanitized version of the documents if you are selected to confirm your eligibility.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from
schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section above.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 08/31/2022 to receive consideration
- To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application (https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/11017474).
- Follow the prompts to select your résumé and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
- You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
- It is your responsibility to verify that your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) is complete, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan.
- Additional information on how to complete the online application process and submit your online application may be found on the USA Staffing Applicant Resource Center.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking (as applicable) for this position. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
If you have questions regarding this job posting please visit https://portal.chra.army.mil/hr_public?id=form_public&sys_id=-1&table=u_application_inquiry_staging and complete the online submission form. To expedite the process please include the Job announcement number, which can be found at the top, right hand side of the job announcement.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance