Click on "Learn more about this agency" button below to view Eligibilities being considered and other IMPORTANT information.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? Visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov
Clarification from the agency
Open to U.S. Citizens/Nationals
WHAT IS THE SMALL BUSINESS SELF EMPLOYED (SB/SE) DIVISION?
A description of the business units can be found at: https://www.jobs.irs.gov/about/who/business-divisions
Vacancies will be filled in the following specialty areas: Five (5) positions will be filled within Small Business Self Employed. Four (4) Positions for Field Examination; One (1) position for Specialty Examination as follows:
These are the locations and the number of current vacancies available: For Field Exam - (1) WI1696 Waukesha, WI; WI1720 Milwaukee, WI; WI1784 Madison, WI; MN1675 Bloomington, MN; MN1600 St. Paul, MN OR ND0046 Fargo, ND; (1) TX0297 Houston, TX; TX0298 Houston, TX OR TX2298 Houston, TX. (1) WA0101 Seattle, WA OR WA8075 Tacoma, WA. (1) CA0273 Long Beach, CA OR CA7395 Santa Ana, CA.
For Specialty Exam - (1) Detroit MI MI0800.
The number of vacancies has not yet been determined for the following locations. If vacancies become available in any locations, this announcement will be amended, and a new cutoff date will be established to fill the additional vacancies as needed.
Birmingham AL AL1213, Huntsville AL AL2393, Mobile AL AL1238, Montgomery AL AL2203, Anchorage AK AK3237, Glendale AZ AZ7887, Mesa AZ AZ6886, Phoenix AZ AZ7748, Tucson AZ AZ0058, Fayetteville AR AR1316, Little Rock AR AR0063, Bakersfield CA CA7102, Camarillo CA CA8500, Carpinteria CA CA8479, El Monte CA CA7023, Fairfield CA CA8182, Fresno CA CA7226, Fresno CA CA7333, Fresno CA CA7456, Fresno CA CA7462, Fresno CA CA7898, Glendale CA CA6218, Laguna Niguel CA CA0521, Los Angeles CA CA0150, Los Angeles CA CA7816 (Woodland Hills), Oakland CA CA0281, Palm Springs CA CA7903, Sacramento CA CA6139, San Bernardino CA CA8050, San Diego CA CA0316, San Francisco CA CA0154, San Jose CA CA6116, San Marcos CA CA6921, San Mateo CA CA8280, San Rafael CA CA8211, Santa Clarita CA CA7159, Santa Maria CA CA7585, Santa Rosa CA CA0221, Stockton CA CA7588, more locations top of Qualifications and Additional information.
The following are the duties of this position at the full working level. If this vacancy includes more than one grade and you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform these duties and receive training to help you grow in this position.
- Receives and reviews all incoming mail and correspondence for the manager. Refers only that which requires personal attention. Determines what correspondence should be controlled with deadlines.
- Serves as the liaison between the manager and his/her key subordinate staff members and other key officials. Assures understanding and clarification of manager's views on all problems and issues. Serves as liaison with Headquarter and Program Officials.
- Acts as office manager for the office. On own initiative, recommends changes in administrative policies. Devises and installs office procedures and practices to be used. Personally handles to completion a variety of administrative projects, performing necessary coordination, making contacts, obtaining comments from management officials concerned, and preparing correspondence.
- Analyzes incoming directives, manual issuances, policy changes, regulatory and procedural changes, etc., for significant potential effect on manager's objectives and for general interests of the manager. Alerts manager of the area of potential impact and arranges for any necessary follow-up technical review by an appropriate segment of the organization. Ensures the follow-up action is accomplished. Edits and offers a critique on organizational internal management documents, pointing out aspects such as lack of clarity or understandability and questions on substantive content.
- Exercises exclusive control over the manager's appointments, with complete authority for commitments of time. Screens all calls and visitors, answering most questions and completing most administrative business involving established policy or routine matters. Maintains the confidential files of all sensitive material for the manager. Territory Managers, and equivalent level supervisors, are given authority and latitude in dealing with employee issues, including actions involving labor relations matters. The secretary also establishes and maintains general administration and other confidential files in the manager's immediate office.
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National and provide proof of U.S. Citizenship. (Birth certificate showing birth in the U.S; Unexpired U.S. Passport; Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization; or Report of Birth Abroad of a U.S. Citizen (Form FS-240))
- Undergo a review of prior performance/conduct and an income tax verification. Refer to "Get Your Tax Record" at http://www.irs.gov/(https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript) to check the status of your account, balance owed, payment history, make a payment, or review answers to tax questions. If you are not in compliance, you will be determined unsuitable for employment with IRS.
- Must successfully complete a background investigation, including a FBI criminal history record check (fingerprint check).
- Complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment, at the time requested by the agency.
- Go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form I-9. Federal law requires verification of the identity and employment eligibility of all new hires in the U.S. These documents must be unexpired original or certified copies.
Colorado Springs CO CO2177, Denver CO CO1811, Fort Collins CO CO0046, Westminster CO CO1989, Hartford CT CT0013, New Haven CT CT0061, Norwalk CT CT3438, Newark DE DE0052, Daytona Beach FL FL1382, Fort Myers FL FL3285, Jacksonville FL FL0067, Jacksonville FL FL2542, Lakeland FL FL3143, Maitland FL FL2257, Melbourne FL FL1361, Miami FL FL0061, Ocala FL FL2668, Panama City FL FL3007, Pensacola FL FL3279, Plantation FL FL2437, Port Saint Lucie FL FL2174, Saint Petersburg FL FL1005, Sarasota FL FL3100, Tallahassee FL FL1407, Tampa FL FL2402, Tampa FL FL2971, West Palm Beach FL FL1328, Atlanta GA GA0087, Atlanta GA GA2004, Chamblee GA GA0010, Chamblee GA GA1016, Decatur GA GA2493, Savannah GA GA2480, Smyrna GA GA2713, Honolulu HI HI8469, Boise ID ID0025, Chicago IL IL0236, Downers Grove IL IL2337, Fairview Heights IL IL2528, Matteson IL IL2563, Orland Park IL IL2549, Schiller Park IL IL2558, Springfield IL IL2454, Carmel IN IN1765, Fort Wayne IN IN1823, Indianapolis IN IN0133, Merrillville IN IN1905, Cedar Rapids IA IA1550, Des Moines IA IA0112, West Des Moines IA IA1527, Overland Park KS KS1603, Wichita KS KS1615, Covington KY KY2032, Covington KY KY3005, Florence KY KY2020, Florence KY KY3016, Florence KY KY3123, Lexington KY KY1472, Louisville KY KY0086, Baton Rouge LA LA1420, New Orleans LA LA1336, Shreveport LA LA1340, South Portland ME ME4276, Annapolis MD MD1137, Baltimore MD MD0055, Lanham-Seabrook MD MD0278 (New Carrollton), Rockville MD MD1248, Andover MA MA0137; Boston MA MA0131, Brockton MA MA5955, Lowell MA MA5813, Southborough MA MA5863, Springfield MA MA5982, Worcester MA MA5785, Ann Arbor MI MI2218, Farmington Hills MI MI2097, Flint MI MI3022, Grand Rapids MI MI2210, Pontiac MI MI2181, Clarksdale MS MS2138, Gulfport MS MS2191, Jackson MS MS0083, Chesterfield MO MO1833, Kansas City MO MO1937, Lee's Summit MO MO2008, Saint Louis MO MO0106, Springfield MO MO1993, Billings MT MT5383, Missoula MT MT5524, Omaha NE NE0051, Las Vegas NV NV7516, Reno NV NV0012, Manchester NH NH0037, Nashua NH NH6136, Portsmouth NH NH6185, Cherry Hill NJ NJ5114, Edison NJ NJ4541, Freehold NJ NJ4611, Iselin NJ NJ4664, Mays Landing NJ NJ6998, Mountainside NJ NJ4360, Paramus NJ NJ4571, Parsippany NJ NJ4531, Paterson NJ NJ0145, Springfield NJ NJ4721, Trenton NJ NJ5105, Albuquerque, NM NM1464, Albany NY NY0300, Bethpage NY NY7501, Bronx NY NY7304, Brooklyn NY NY7288, Buffalo NY NY7340, Cheektowaga NY NY6466, Hauppauge NY NY7117, Holtsville NY NY0376, Holtsville NY NY7184, New Windsor NY NY7071, New York NY NY0128, New York NY NY0282, New York NY NY0350, Rochester NY NY7064, Syracuse NY NY7357, White Plains NY NY6385, Charlotte NC NC2598, Fayetteville NC NC2443, Greensboro NC NC2668, Greenville NC NC2310, Raleigh NC NC1151, Wilmington NC NC2410, Cincinnati OH OH0189, Columbus OH OH0208, Dayton OH OH0195, Independence OH OH2320, Toledo OH OH2146, Oklahoma City OK OK1356, Tulsa OK OK1431, Portland OR OR0043, Salem OR OR6660, Bethlehem PA PA0719, Horsham PA PA0865, King Of Prussia PA PA0507, Media PA PA0582, Monroeville PA PA0745, Philadelphia PA PA0277, Philadelphia PA PA0809, Pittsburgh PA PA0233, Scranton PA PA0596, Guaynabo PR PR3930, Guaynabo PR PR4001, Guaynabo PR PR4065, San Juan PR PR4062, Providence RI RI7097, Warwick RI RI7085, Columbia SC SC0068, Greenville SC SC2095, North Charleston SC SC1149, Rapid City SD SD0035, Sioux Falls SD SD1317, Chattanooga TN TN2351, Franklin TN TN2709, Knoxville TN TN0076, Memphis TN TN0005, Memphis TN TN2070, Nashville TN TN0052, Austin TX TX0227, Austin TX TX1962, Austin TX TX2038, Austin TX TX2225, Austin TX TX2437, Austin TX TX2835, Corpus Christi TX TX1732, Dallas TX TX0284, El Paso TX TX0272, Farmers Branch TX TX0302, Fort Worth TX TX2653, Harlingen TX TX2754, McAllen TX TX2785, Midland TX TX2148, San Antonio TX TX2982, Tyler TX TX2096, Ogden UT UT0035, Ogden UT UT0036, Ogden UT UT1431, Ogden UT UT1434, Ogden UT UT1486, Salt Lake City UT UT1522, Burlington VT VT8139, Fredericksburg VA VA0746, Hampton VA VA0688, Norfolk VA VA1608, Richmond VA VA0088, Roanoke VA VA0535, Vienna VA VA0008, Spokane WA WA0064, Washington DC DC0022, more locations the top of Additional information.
Federal experience is not required. The experience may have been gained in the public sector, private sector or Volunteer Service.
One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis.
To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week, on your resume.
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement:
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: GS-06 LEVEL:
You must have 1 year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-05 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position includes: receiving calls and visitors and directing them to appropriate person or subordinate office; Preparing a variety of correspondence, reports, forms, requisitions, requests for personnel actions and legal documents; Reviewing documentation for proper format, conformance with procedural instructions, grammar, punctuation, and spelling; Organizing and maintaining files and records, manuals, handbooks, and other related materials; Scheduling appointments and assembling background material; Providing basic coordination and pertinent information on office functions.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: GS-07 LEVEL:
You must have 1 year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-06 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position includes: screening and answering telephone calls and determining which require personal attention; Establishing, organizing, and maintaining files of correspondence, manuals, and other related information; Reviewing correspondence and reports for proper format, grammar, punctuation, and mathematical correctness; Scheduling and shifting appointments based on commitments; Gathering and assembling necessary supporting documentation for reports; Providing advice, assistance and training to clerical support positions; Scheduling engagements and background material and preparing notes regarding topics to be discussed.
You must meet the following special requirements: Applicants must be a qualified typist with a minimum typing speed of 40 words per minute (based on a 5-minute sample with three or fewer errors). Applicants may meet these requirements by passing the appropriate performance test, presenting a certificate of proficiency from a school or other organization authorized to issue such certificates by the Office of Personnel Management local office, or by self-certifying their proficiency. Performance test results and certificates of proficiency are acceptable for three years. We may verify proficiency skills of self-certified applicants by administering the appropriate performance test.
For more information on qualifications please refer to OPM's Qualifications Standards
For positions with an education requirement, or if you are qualifying for this position by substituting education or training for experience, submit a copy of your transcripts or equivalent. An official transcript will be required if you are selected.
A college or university degree generally must be from an accredited (or pre-accredited) college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For a list of schools which meet these criteria, please refer to Department of Education Accreditation page.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying. Click here for Foreign Education Credentialing instructions.
Washington DC DC0198, Beckley WV WV0171 , Spokane WA WA0064, Washington DC DC0022, Washington DC DC0198, Beckley WV WV0171, Vancouver WA WA0094, Casper WY WY0030, OR Cheyenne WY WY1228.
If the position(s) are no longer needed prior to the closing date, this announcement may be closed early.
- Subject to a 1-year probationary period (unless already completed).
- Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
- If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
- We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies. Additional jobs may be filled.
- The salary range indicated in this announcement reflects the minimum locality pay up to maximum locality pay for all duty locations listed. The range will be adjusted for selected duty location. General Schedule locality pay tables may be found under Salaries & Wages.
- This is a non-bargaining unit position.
- Tour of Duty: Day Shift: Monday - Friday; 8:00 am to 4:30 pm
- Alternative work schedule, staggered work hours or telework may be available.
- Obtain and use a Government-issued charge card for business-related travel.
- Telework Eligible Positions: Telework eligible positions do not guarantee telework. Employees must meet and sustain IRS telework eligibility requirements (e.g., reporting at least twice a pay period to your assigned Post of Duty (POD)) and supervisor's approval to participate in the IRS Telework Program. Employees must also be within a 200-mile radius of their official assigned post-of-duty (POD) while in a telework status. As a reminder - If you are selected for a position, you are responsible for reporting to your designated POD (location) on the negotiated start date or as directed by management.
This is an open continuous announcement which will be used to fill vacancies in the locations listed as they become available for the next 12 months contingent upon funding and space requirements. Applicants must apply and/or update their applications by 11:59 pm ET at the close of the following cutoff dates to be considered: Cutoff date(s): 6/10/2023.
This announcement may be amended to include additional cut-off dates within the 12
month period if needed, not later than 5 days prior to the additional cut-off date(s). Eligible applicants in the highest category who apply by the initial cut-off date will be considered first. If additional vacancies exist
, applicants who applied after the initial cutoff date who place in the highest category will be considered next. Selections from this announcement may be made no later than (NLT) 6/17/2024.
Eligible applicants who apply by the initial cutoff in the highest Quality Group will be considered first. All other applicants will be considered in Quality Group order as needed, to fill remaining vacancies. Any required documents should be submitted at the time that you apply - documents will not be accepted after the vacancy closes.
A career with the U.S. government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Opens in a new windowLearn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application includes your resume, responses to the online questions, and required supporting documents. Please be sure that your resume includes detailed information to support your qualifications for this position; failure to provide sufficient evidence in your resume may result in a "not qualified" determination.
Rating: You will be assessed on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities, and other characteristics):
- Customer Service (Clerical/Technical)
- Interpersonal Skills
- Manages and Organizes Information.
Category rating will be used to rank and select eligible candidates. If qualified, you will be assigned to one of two quality level categories, CAT A/B, CAT C depending on your responses to the online questions, regarding your experience, education, and training related to this position. Your rating may be lowered if your responses to the online questions are not supported by the education and/or experience described in your application.
If you are among the top qualified candidates, your application may be referred to a selecting official for consideration. Candidates, if required to participate in a selection interview (telephonic and/or in person at the discretion of the Selecting Official in accordance with hiring practices), will be interviewed in quality group order. We will not
reimburse costs related to the interview such as travel to and from the interview site.
Veterans' preference is applied after applicants are assessed. Qualified preference eligibiles who have a compensable service-connected disability of 10 percent or more (CPS, CP) are placed at the top of the highest category on the referral list (except for scientific or professional positions at the GS-9 level or higher). Remaining preference eligibles are placed above non-preference eligibles within their assigned category.
If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee (eligible for the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP)
, you must receive a rating of category "CAT B" to be rated as "well qualified" to receive special selection priority.
The following documents are required and must be provided with your application. All application materials, including transcripts, must be in English.
Please note that if you do not provide all required information, as specified in this announcement, your application will be determined incomplete, and you will not be considered for this position (or may not receive the special consideration for which you may be eligible).
- Resume - Your resume MUST contain dates of employment (i.e., month/year to month/year or to present). To ensure you receive full credit for relevant experience, include the hours worked per week. We recommend that your resume not exceed 5 pages, only the first 5 pages will be reviewed to determine your eligibility/qualifications. If including Federal service experience, provide pay plan, series and grade, i.e. GS-0301-09. Your resume must NOT include photographs, inappropriate content, or personal information such as age, gender, religion, social security number. If your resume does not contain the required information specified, or contains prohibited information as listed above, your application will be determined incomplete, and you will not receive consideration for this position. (Cover letters are optional.) Please view Resume Tips.
- Online Application - Questionnaire
- Education - See Education Section above
- Registration/License (if applicable) - active, current registration/license
- Veterans' Preference (if applicable) - You MUST submit a copy of your DD-214 (Member 4 copy), or other official documentation from a branch of the Armed Forces or the Department of Veterans Affairs showing dates of service and type of discharge. If you are serving under active duty, provide certification from the Armed Forces that you will be discharged or released within 120 days from the date of certification. The certification must indicate your dates of service, rank and that you will be separated under honorable conditions. Submit an Application for 10-point Veteran Preference, SF-15, along with the required documentation listed on the back of the form if you are a 10-point preference eligible. For more information on veterans' preference view FedsHireVets.
- Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) (if applicable) - You MUST submit the required documentation as outlined at: Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP). If you are an IRS CTAP eligible, you can apply for jobs within and outside the commuting area. If you are a Treasury CTAP eligible can apply for jobs within the commuting area.
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) (if applicable) - If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee, click Interchange Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) for eligibility and a detailed list of required documents.
- High School Diploma (or equivalent) - If you are 16 or 17 years of age, you MUST submit documentation of graduation from high school (or equivalent); OR completion of a formal vocational training program; OR statement from school authorities agreeing with your decision to pursue employment rather than continuing your education.
The following instructions outline our application process. You must complete this application process and submit any required documents by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time (ET) on 03/19/2024 and/or cut-off dates in this announcement. We are available to assist you during business hours (normally 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. ET, Monday - Friday). If applying online poses a hardship, please contact us by noon ET on 03/19/2024.
To preview the Application Questionnaire, please click the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/11943939
- To begin the application process, click the "Apply Online" button.
- You will be re-directed to USA STAFFING to complete your application process; answer the online questions and submit all required documents. (To submit supporting documents, import documents from USAJOBS to the appropriate document types. If the document you need was not imported from USAJOBS, you may upload it directly into this application. To protect your privacy, we suggest you first remove your SSN).
- To complete, you must click the "Submit Application" button prior to 11:59 PM (ET) on 03/19/2024.
To update your application, including supporting documentation, at any time during the announcement open period, return to your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login
). There you will find a record of your application, the application status, and an option to Update Application. This option will no longer be available once the announcement has closed.
To verify the status of your application both during and after the announcement open period, log into your USAJOBS account: https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login
. All of your applications will appear on the Welcome
page. The application record in your USAJOBS account provides an Additional Application Information
page that provides information regarding the documentation you submitted and any correspondence we have sent related to this application. The Application Status
will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status
means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/
Treasury believes in a working environment that supports inclusion; please view our reasonable accommodation policies and procedures at https://www.jobs.irs.gov/midcareer/reasonable-accommodation.html. We provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities on a case-by-case basis; contact us if you require this for any part of the application and hiring process.
Once your application package and online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email. You are responsible for checking status updates and notifications in USAJOBS. Hard copy notifications will not be sent to you. You may check the status of your application for this position at any time by logging onto the USAJOBS "My Account" tab and clicking on "Application Status." For a more detailed update of your application status, you may click on "more information." Please notify us if your contact information changes after the closing date of the announcement. If your email mailbox is full or blocked (SPAM) you may not receive important communication that could affect your consideration for this position.