Open & closing dates
Opening and closing dates
04/16/2021 to 05/07/2021
Pay scale & grade
$146,804 to $199,300 per year
This position has been designated as a Tier 2 with salary range of $146,804 - $192,000
1 vacancy in the following location:
Yes as determined by agency policy
This job is open to
Those who meet the five Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs).
U.S. citizens, nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S.
Clarification from the agency
All groups of qualified individuals
The Site Director-Cleveland oversees the management of multiple finance and accounting operations at DFAS-Cleveland and DFAS-Japan. Serving as principal advisor and assistant to the Deputy Director for Operations and the Director/Principal Deputy Director of DFAS, the Site Director is responsible for planning, implementing, monitoring, and evaluating DFAS accounting and financial management systems, programs and initiatives impacting the DoD and other customers worldwide.
Learn more about this agency
- Provides strategic direction and leadership for DFAS Cleveland site operations consistent with Agency and DoD mission, vision, values and goals.
- Using a complete knowledge of complex accounting and finance policy, manages and directs programs and projects designed to maintain and improve Agency operations impacting a world-wide customer base, both military and civilian.
- Interprets and establishes strategic initiatives for the agency and DFAS-Cleveland, ensuring procedures, practices, principles, and standards comply with accounting, auditing and financial statutory and regulatory requirements.
- Manages operations to include financial analysis; disbursements; accounts payable and receivable; audit support; civilian pay; centralized payroll support and disbursement to active/reserve components; retired and annuitant pay and customer services.
- Reviews and approves budget estimates and financial plans; presents and defends the site?s budgetary requirements, ensuring that programs and policies are implemented in accordance with Agency and DoD objectives and strategic financial goals.
- Collaborates with executives, management and customers representing the agency and its mission at a high level with representatives throughout the Agency, DoD, Federal Government and Congressional offices.
- Maintains constant liaison with top management officials within DoD, DFAS, other Executive Branch agencies, and private sector to identify program requirements or to discuss Agency proposals regarding new or revised systems or program delivery.
- Leads development, maintenance, and evaluation of internal controls and audit steadiness measures in accordance with DoD, DFAS and other Federal statutes and regulations; supports initiatives to continually improve Agency services.
25% or less - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Conditions Of Employment
- This position has been a designated a Tier 2 position with a salary range of $146,804 - $192,000.
- This national security position, which may require access to classified information, requires a favorable suitability review and security clearance as a condition of employment. Failure to maintain security eligibility may result in termination.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National
- Obtain/Maintain Financial Management Certificate
- Compliance with the provision of the Ethics in Government Act, Public Law 95-521, as amended, submission of a Financial Disclosure Statement, OGE 278, upon assuming the position, annuallly, and upon termnnation of employement is required.
This position is in the Senior Executive Service (SES), a small elite group of top government leaders. SES members possess a diverse portfolio of experiences including strong skills to lead across organizations.
This position has a basic education requirement as follows:
1.Completion of all requirements for a bachelor's degree in accounting from an accredited college or university; or a degree in a related field such as business administration, finance, or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting. The 24 hours may include up to 6 hours of credit in business law. OR
2. A combination of education and experience- at least 4 years of experience in accounting or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education and training that provide professional accounting knowledge. In addition, your background MUST include one of the following:
- 24 semester hours in accounting or auditing courses of appropriate type and quality. This can include up to 6 hours of Business Law; OR
- A certificate as a Certified Public Accountant or Certified Internal Auditor, obtained through written examination.
YOU MUST SUBMIT PROOF OF EDUCATION AND/OR CERTIFICATION TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION.
To meet the minimum qualification requirements for this position, you must show in your application package that you possess the five Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs), Technical Qualifications and other qualifications, if applicable, listed below.
EXECUTIVE CORE QUALIFICATIONS (ECQs):
Applicants must submit written statements (narrative format ) describing accomplishments that would satisfy the ECQs. You must address each ECQ separately. You are required to respond to all ECQs. If you fail to do so, you will be rated as 'ineligible.' Additional information on the ECQs is available at www.opm.gov/ses/recruitment/ecq.asp. Each accomplishment should be clear, concise, and emphasize your level of responsibilities, the scope and complexity of programs managed, and results of your actions. Please limit your written statements to no more than two pages per ECQ.
- ECQ 1 - LEADING CHANGE: This core qualification involves the ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment.
- ECQ 2 - LEADING PEOPLE: This core qualification involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts.
- ECQ 3 - RESULTS DRIVEN: This core qualification involves the ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks.
- ECQ 4 - BUSINESS ACUMEN: This core qualification involves the ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically.
- ECQ 5 - BUILDING COALITIONS: This core qualification involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other federal agencies, state and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals.
MANDATORY TECHNICAL QUALIFICATIONS: All applicants must submit written statements (narrative format) of accomplishments that would satisfy the technical qualifications. You must address each technical qualification separately. Please limit your written statements to two pages per Technical Qualification.
- In-depth knowledge of financial management principles, best practices and standards related to accounting, audit, finance, budgeting, resource management or a related business function.
- Demonstrated leadership experience in sponsoring technical innovations and process improvements in accounting, audit, finance, budgeting, resource management or a related business function.
- Demonstrated leadership experience in shaping a high performing human capital program to deliver exceptional financial or related business management products and services.
DoD Joint Enterprise-wide Experience: Possess a broad point of view and an awareness and understanding of individual or organizational responsibilities in relation to DoD or government-wide strategic priorities. Executives should demonstrate ability to work with internal and external partners to support national security objectives. This perspective is typically gained through a variety of diverse work experiences.
In accordance with Department of Defense (DoD) Instruction 1300.26 "Operation of the DoD Financial Management Certification Program," this position requires you to obtain an Level 3 Certification under the DoD Financial Management Program as a condition of employment. If you are selected, you will have to obtain this certification within two (2) years of your entry on duty in the position. Failure to become certified within the required timeframe may be grounds for removal. from the position and/or Federal service. Once certified, the incumbent must obtain the required Continuing Education and Training (CET) units as outlined in DoDI 1300.26. Information about the DoD FM Certification Program is available at www.dfas.mil/careers/fmcertification.html.
There is no substitution of education for experience for this position.
- U.S. Citizenship required
- Current and Former Career SES members, and graduates of SES CDP programs with OPM Certified ECQ's need to only address the technical qualifications (and need not respond to the Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs)). Graduates of an approved SES Candidate Development Program must include a copy of their OPM certification of eligibility.
- Telework availability will be based upon the mission requirements and supervisory determination.
- The incumbent must be eligible to obtain and maintain, at minimum, a Top Secret security clearance.
- The incumbent is required to comply with the provision of the Ethics in Government Act, Public Law 95-521, as amended, which requires the submission of a Financial Disclosure Statement, OGE 278, upon assuming the position, annually, and upon termination of employment.
- All newly appointed career SES leaders must sign the Reassignment Rights Obligations Agreement as a condition of appointment into the SES.
- Executive Core Qualifications of the selectee are subject to approval from the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) unless selectee is currently servicing under a SES appointment, is an OPM CDP Graduate, or has SES Reinstatement eligibility.
- Occasional Travel Required.
- Permanent Change of Station Costs (PCS) may be paid.
- A recruitment or relocation incentive may be authorized for a selected candidate who meets the criteria specified in 5 CFR Part 575.
- You may serve up to a two-year probationary period unless you previously completed the probationary period in the SES.
- Veterans' preference does not apply to positions in the Senior Executive Service. If you have questions about the applicability of veterans' preference for a particular vacancy, please contact the agency posting the announcement.
If you are unable to apply online, view the following link for information regarding Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated on the quality and extent of your total accomplishments, experience and education. Your application will be evaluated by a rating and ranking panel, and highly qualified candidates may undergo an interview and a reference check. The Executive Resources Board (ERB) will review results and make recommendations on final selections to the appointing authority. Unless you have already been certified by a Qualifications Review Board (QRB) in the past, your ECQs must be certified by a QRB before appointment can occur.
Background checks and security clearance
1. ECQ Narratives (written statements addressing the Executive Core Qualifications), Mandatory Technical Qualification(s) narratives, and other qualifications as applicable
2. Résumé - You must submit a resume or any other written format you choose to describe your qualifications. Applicants typically provide the following information:
- Vacancy ID# TAG: 11045313
- Full name, mailing and email addresses, day and evening telephone numbers.
- Educational information, including the name, city and state of colleges or universities you attended, as well as the type of degree received. Report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education (http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html).
- Information about your paid and non-paid work experiences related to this position including: job title, duties and accomplishments, employer's name and address, duration of employment, and salary.
- You may also include information about honors, awards, and special accomplishments.
3. Documents supporting basic education requirements as applicable.
4. Graduates of an approved SES Candidate Development Program must include a copy of their OPM certification of eligibility.
5. SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, if currently serving under an SES appointment.
Applicants who fail to submit all information and documents (i.e. a resume, ECQs, technical qualifications, and other qualifications, as applicable) WILL NOT receive consideration for the position.
DO NOT SUBMIT ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Extraneous materials such as award certificates will not be considered.
NOTE: It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed are received, legible, and accurate.
WARNING: Failure to submit a complete application package including any required documentation by the closing date of the announcement at 11:59 PM U.S. Eastern Time Zone, or at the time of application for announcements with an extended closing date, may result in an ineligible rating and loss of consideration. To verify that your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, select Application Status and More Information. The Details page will display the status of your application. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from
schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
How to Apply
Your resume must be received by the closing date of the vacancy announcement, TAG: 05/07/2021
A complete application includes your written statements addressing the Executive Core Qualifications, the Technical Qualification(s), and other qualifications as applicable, a resume, and any other documents listed below under Required Documents
Click 'Apply Online' to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account.
1. Follow the prompts to complete the assessment questionnaire and upload required documents.
2. Please ensure you click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application.
3. Check application status by logging into your USAJOBS account, clicking Application Status, then More Information for this position. Return to an incomplete application by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
We will conduct a qualifications evaluation of applicants who supply all requested material. Qualified applicants will be rated and ranked by an SES evaluation panel. Best qualified candidates will be referred to the selecting official for further consideration and possible interview. You will be notified of the outcome after approval of the selectee by the OPM Qualification Review Board (QRB). Our evaluation will be based on the information you supply. You should expect that we will verify performance, suitability, and security information and take that information into account in making employment offers.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance