Click on "Learn more about this agency" button below to view Eligibilities being considered and other IMPORTANT information.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? Visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov
Clarification from the agency
Open to U.S. Citizens and Nationals and ICTAP eligibles in the commuting area.
WHAT IS THE OFFICE OF ONLINE SERVICEDIVISION?
A description of the business units can be found at: https://www.jobs.irs.gov/about/who/business-divisions
Vacancies will be filled in the following specialty areas:
OLS - Online Service.
The following are the duties of this position at the full working level. If this vacancy includes more than one grade and you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform these duties and receive training to help you grow in this position.
As a Senior Manager you will:
Supervises and coordinates the analytics roadmap and plans the development and implementation of several major programs or projects that may cross branch and/or division lines of responsibility. Responsibilities include managing assigned personnel resources and providing overall direction to assigned staff and programs which support IRS' website, digital apps, web apps and digital strategy enabling and unlocking capabilities required to bring the vision and deliver on the mission of OLS and the IRS. Plans the work to be accomplished by subordinate personnel; sets and adjust short-term priorities, and prepare schedules for completion of work; assigns work to subordinates based on priorities, selective consideration of the difficulty, requirements of assignments, and the capabilities of employees; evaluates work performance of subordinates; gives advice, counsel, or instruction to employees on both work and administrative matters; interviews candidates for positions in the unit; recommends appointment, promotion, or reassignment; hears and resolves complaints from employees, referring group grievances and more serious unresolved complaints to a higher level supervisor or manager; effects minor disciplinary measures, such as warnings and reprimands, recommending other action in more serious cases; approves leave; identifies developmental and training needs of employees, providing or arranging for needed development and training; finds ways to improve production or increase the quality of the work directed; and develops performance standards for the personnel in the Unit. Provides recommendations related to budget and the need for more or less contracted personnel, if contractors have completed work satisfactorily, and approves payment.
Leads and mentors OLS data and analytics employees for optimized performance and best outcomes based on tangible results and calculated key performance indicators of success. Oversees the development of guidelines, procedures and operational changes that improve the effectiveness and consistency of tax administration programs as these programs are developed or improved under digital transformation initiatives, to ensure IRS' customers digital experiences are effectively measured and managed and meet IRS' customer experience goals. Manages the OLS analytics team against a well-documented and effective operating model covering people, process, and platform that delivers the best possible partnership with the business and the most effective cross-business advanced analytics capability. Personnel management includes: setting clear goals for assigned staff to ensure successful delivery of assigned programs or projects, providing vision and inspiration by shaping new ideas, establish professional relationships with peers and executives, lead the analysis and implementation of innovation in assigned branch, promote analysis and implementation of effective change, ensure effective coordination and collaboration with assigned and affected programs or projects, facilitate problem solving, and emphasize the importance of critical thinking.
Drives team-member training and performance management that increases the OLS analytics team's capability dedicated to solving complex business problems with more advanced capability to lift the performance of OLS and the IRS against its vision and mission. Develops and maintains relationships with the Senior Executives and Branch Chiefs throughout OLS to build an in-depth knowledge of the business and the operational drivers for the successful development of high-value analytic solutions.
Conditions of Employment
- To ensure compliance with an applicable preliminary nationwide injunction, which may be supplemented, modified, or vacated, depending on the course of ongoing litigation, the Federal Government will take no action to implement/enforce the COVID-19 vaccination requirement pursuant to Executive Order 14043 on Requiring Coronavirus Disease 2019 Vaccination for Federal Employees. Federal agencies may request information regarding the vaccination status of selected applicants for the purposes of implementing other workplace safety protocols, such as protocols related to masking, physical distancing, testing, travel, and quarantine.
- Telework Eligible Positions: Telework eligible positions do not guarantee telework. Employees must meet and sustain IRS telework eligibility requirements (e.g., reporting at least twice a pay period to your assigned Post of Duty (POD)) and supervisor's approval to participate in the IRS Telework Program. Employees must also be within a 200-mile radius of their official assigned post-of-duty (POD) while in a telework status. As a reminder - If you are selected for a position, you are responsible for reporting to your designated POD (location) on the negotiated start date or as directed by management.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National and provide proof of U.S. Citizenship. (Birth certificate showing birth in the U.S; Unexpired U.S. Passport; Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization; or Report of Birth Abroad of a U.S. Citizen (Form FS-240))
- Undergo a review of prior performance/conduct and an income tax verification. Refer to "Get Your Tax Record" at http://www.irs.gov/(https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript) to check the status of your account, balance owed, payment history, make a payment, or review answers to tax questions. If you are not in compliance, you will be determined unsuitable for employment with IRS.
- Must successfully complete a background investigation, including a FBI criminal history record check (fingerprint check).
- Complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment, at the time requested by the agency.
- Go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form I-9. Federal law requires verification of the identity and employment eligibility of all new hires in the U.S. These documents must be unexpired original or certified copies.
Federal experience is not required. The experience may have been gained in the public sector, private sector or Volunteer Service. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-timework is considered on a prorated basis. To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week, on your resume.
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement:
BASIC REQUIREMENT (IOR): A Bachelor's or higher degree Mathematics, statistics, computer science, data science or field directly related to the position. The degree must be in a major field of study (at least at the baccalaureate level) that is appropriate for the position or Combination of education and experience: Courses equivalent to a major field of study (30 semester hours) as shown above, plus additional education or appropriate experience.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE IR-01: You must have one year of substantive supervisory or program management experience at the GS-13 or GS-14 level or equivalent level manager or comparable management or leadership experiences outside of Federal service. To be qualifying for this position your experience should be sufficient to demonstrate: Experience applying management techniques, methods, theories, principles, and labor relations concepts, sufficient to assure optimum utilization of personnel, equipment, and space, and to accomplish program objectives through combined technical and administrative oversight; Experience planning, directing, and evaluating work of subordinate managers, employees, and/or others; Experience applying appropriate operations, policies, applicable laws, regulations, rules, practices, procedures, and techniques sufficient to provide oversight and direction in the planning, development and implementation of the technical aspects of programs directly related and/or specific to the position being filled; Experience applying budget and fiscal methods used in establishing and maintaining an organization. Experience working on major programs segments, organizational structures and/or functional responsibilities specific to the position being filled.
In addition, you must have the following: Experience with data science and analytical methods from conducting machine learning, Natural Language Processing and technical procedures like solution design, implementation, and deployment to research, specify, approve and carryout advanced analytics projects and experience conducting advanced analytics as a team leader responsible for the tasks required to be carried out. Experience with the development, implementation and ongoing management of digital analytics plans, programs and/or projects to improve the delivery of digital products and services. Experience with visualization techniques to create insights from data and deliver practical recommendations for business action. Experience implementing a digital strategy focused on program/project accomplishment, assessment of the effectiveness of the analytics program and/or analytic project interrelationships, determine appropriate goals and activities of matrixed or assigned staff, and evaluate the impact of proposed and developing analytics on digital programs and the impact to improve customer experience. Experience managing analytics projects, budgets, and schedules to successful completion using agile approaches (e.g., SAFe).
Go to Understanding the IRS Paybands for GS/IR conversion. For more information on qualifications please refer to OPM's Qualifications Standards.
For positions with an education requirement, or if you are qualifying for this position by substituting education or training for experience, submit a copy of your transcripts or equivalent. An official transcript will be required if you are selected.
A college or university degree generally must be from an accredited (or pre-accredited) college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For a list of schools which meet these criteria, please refer to Department of Education Accreditation page.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying. Click here for Foreign Education Credentialing instructions.
- Subject to a 1-year supervisory or managerial probationary period (unless already completed).
- Subject to a 1-year probationary period (unless already completed).
- Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
- If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
- We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies. Additional jobs may be filled.
- The salary range indicated in this announcement reflects the minimum locality pay up to maximum locality pay for all duty locations listed. The range will be adjusted for selected duty location. General Schedule locality pay tables may be found under Salaries & Wages.
- This is a non-bargaining unit position.
- Tour of Duty: Day Shift - Start and stop time between 6:00am to 6:00pm.
- Alternative work schedule, staggered work hours or telework may be available.
Though many locations may be listed, you will be limited to a maximum of 3 location choices. Please consider each location carefully when applying. If you are selected for a position at one of your location selections, that location will become your official post of duty.
If the position(s) are no longer needed prior to the closing date, this announcement may be closed early.
This is an open continuous announcement which will be used to fill vacancies in the locations listed as they become available for the next 12 months contingent upon funding and space requirements. Applicants must apply and/or update their applications by 11:59 pm ET at the close of the following cutoff dates to be considered: Cutoff date(s):1st cutoff date 5/18/2023; 2nd cutoff date 6/27/2023; 3rd cutoff date 8/28/2023; 4th cutoff date 10/27/2023.
This announcement may be amended to include additional cut-off dates within the 12-
month period if needed, not later than 5 days prior to the additional cut-off date(s). Eligible applicants in the highest category who apply by the initial cut-off date will be considered first. If additional vacancies exist
, applicants who applied after the initial cutoff date who place in the highest category will be considered next. Selections from this announcement may be made no later than (NLT) 4/26/2024.
A career with the U.S. government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Opens in a new windowLearn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application includes your resume, responses to the online questions, and required supporting documents. Please be sure that your resume includes detailed information to support your qualifications for this position; failure to provide sufficient evidence in your resume may result in a "not qualified" determination.
Rating: You will be assessed on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities, and other characteristics):
- (SM) MSP Core Qualifications Competency
- Analysis and Decision Making
- Data Analysis
- General Supervision
- Program/Project Management
- Service Delivery
Category rating will be used to rank and select eligible candidates. If qualified, you will be assigned to one of two quality level categories, CAT A/B, CAT C depending on your responses to the online questions, regarding your experience, education, and training related to this position. Your rating may be lowered if your responses to the online questions are not supported by the education and/or experience described in your application.
If you are among the top qualified candidates, your application may be referred to a selecting official for consideration. Candidates, if required to participate in a selection interview (telephonic and/or in person at the discretion of the Selecting Official in accordance with hiring practices), will be interviewed in quality group order. We will not
reimburse costs related to the interview such as travel to and from the interview site.
Veterans' preference is applied after applicants are assessed. Qualified preference eligibiles who have a compensable service-connected disability of 10 percent or more (CPS, CP) are placed at the top of the highest category on the referral list (except for scientific or professional positions at the GS-9 level or higher). Remaining preference eligibles are placed above non-preference eligibles within their assigned category.
If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee (eligible for the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP)
, you must receive a rating of category CAT A/B to be rated as "well qualified" to receive special selection priority.
The following documents are required and must be provided with your application. All application materials, including transcripts, must be in English.
Please note that if you do not provide all required information, as specified in this announcement, your application will be determined incomplete, and you will not be considered for this position (or may not receive the special consideration for which you may be eligible).
- Resume - Your resume MUST contain dates of employment (i.e., month/year to month/year or to present). To ensure you receive full credit for relevant experience, include the hours worked per week. We recommend that your resume not exceed 5 pages, only the first 5 pages will be reviewed to determine your eligibility/qualifications. If including Federal service experience, provide pay plan, series and grade, i.e. GS-0301-09. Your resume must NOT include photographs, inappropriate content, or personal information such as age, gender, religion, social security number. If your resume does not contain the required information specified, or contains prohibited information as listed above, your application will be determined incomplete, and you will not receive consideration for this position. (Cover letters are optional.) Please view Resume Tips.
- Online Application - Questionnaire
- Education - See Education Section above
- Registration/License (if applicable) - active, current registration/license
- Veterans' Preference (if applicable) - You MUST submit a copy of your DD-214 (Member 4 copy), or other official documentation from a branch of the Armed Forces or the Department of Veterans Affairs showing dates of service and type of discharge. If you are serving under active duty, provide certification from the Armed Forces that you will be discharged or released within 120 days from the date of certification. The certification must indicate your dates of service, rank and that you will be separated under honorable conditions. Submit an Application for 10-point Veteran Preference, SF-15, along with the required documentation listed on the back of the form if you are a 10-point preference eligible. For more information on veterans' preference go to FedsHireVets.
- Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) (if applicable) - You MUST submit the required documentation as outlined at: Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP). If you are an IRS CTAP eligible, you can apply for jobs within and outside the commuting area. If you are a Treasury CTAP eligible can apply for jobs within the commuting area.
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) (if applicable) - If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee, click Interchange Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) for eligibility and a detailed list of required documents.
The following instructions outline our application process. You must complete this application process and submit any required documents by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time (ET) on 03/27/2024 and/or cut-off dates in this announcement. We are available to assist you during business hours (normally 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. ET, Monday - Friday). If applying online poses a hardship, please contact us by noon ET on 03/27/2024.
To preview the Application Questionnaire, please click the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/11937025
- To begin the application process, click the "Apply Online" button.
- You will be re-directed to USA STAFFING to complete your application process; answer the online questions and submit all required documents. (To submit supporting documents, import documents from USAJOBS to the appropriate document types. If the document you need was not imported from USAJOBS, you may upload it directly into this application. To protect your privacy, we suggest you first remove your SSN).
- To complete, you must click the "Submit Application" button prior to 11:59 PM (ET) on 03/27/2024.
To update your application, including supporting documentation, at any time during the announcement open period, return to your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login
). There you will find a record of your application, the application status, and an option to Update Application. This option will no longer be available once the announcement has closed.
To verify the status of your application both during and after the announcement open period, log into your USAJOBS account: https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login
. All of your applications will appear on the Welcome
page. The application record in your USAJOBS account provides an Additional Application Information
page that provides information regarding the documentation you submitted and any correspondence we have sent related to this application. The Application Status
will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status
means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/
Treasury believes in a working environment that supports inclusion; please view our reasonable accommodation policies and procedures at https://www.jobs.irs.gov/midcareer/reasonable-accommodation.html. We provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities on a case-by-case basis; contact us if you require this for any part of the application and hiring process.
Once your application package and online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email. You are responsible for checking status updates and notifications in USAJOBS. Hard copy notifications will not be sent to you. You may check the status of your application for this position at any time by logging onto the USAJOBS "My Account" tab and clicking on "Application Status." For a more detailed update of your application status, you may click on "more information." Please notify us if your contact information changes after the closing date of the announcement. If your email mailbox is full or blocked (SPAM) you may not receive important communication that could affect your consideration for this position.