This position is located in the Nutrition and Food Service (N&FS) of the VA Medical Center in Coatesville, responsible for supervising the Nutrition Communication Center (NCC) activities ensuring compliance with all regulatory policies and procedures.
Clarification from the agency
ALL US CITIZENS.
DIRECT HIRE AUTHORITY: This position is being filled using Direct-Hire Authority (5 CFR 337.201) for this occupation.
Major duties and responsibilities will include:
Designated Drug-Testing Position:
- Coordinates and directs the daily operations of the NCC and nourishment areas
- Uses standards, policies, procedures, diet manuals, modified menus, and production sheets to guide the work
- Directs the work activities of employees, appraising performance, and promotes courteous and cooperative working relationships
- Provides guidance pertaining to food service-related work assignments and ensures the quality and quantity of work performed
- Controls usage of subsistence and supplies to promote cost-containment
- Inspects work areas to assure high standards of sanitation
- Ensures staff supervised receive and complete all necessary training
- Resolves information technology issues related to integration of VISTA, Get Well Network/Touch Tone Dining and N&FS Systems
- Oversees menu/recipe changes and all necessary updates in food service system (any commercial of-the-shelf (COTS) program)
- Consults with clinical nutrition staff to resolve tray ticket issues with complex diets
- Provides accurate and timely registry of menu items available to patients, food production and inventory team, clinical staff, etc.
- Serves as a resource to ensure accurate interpretation of diet orders, identification of mistakes and ensures appropriate corrective action is taken
- Handles patient problems and complaints related to N&FS as appropriate
- Performs clinical functions to include interviewing new admissions to obtain patient history monitoring changes in weight, food intake, appearance, etc.; providing nutritional counseling maintaining dietetic reports; calculating and documenting patients' calorie and protein daily intake; and consults with Dietitian to recommend adjustments to patient diet plans
- Participates in performance improvement activities by assisting in the development of indicators and monitors, data collection and analysis, corrective actions and preparation of reports
- Ensures compliance with all regulatory agency standards, including state, federal and Joint Commission
- Performing related duties as required.
Applicants tentatively selected for VA employment in a testing designated position are subject to urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment. Applicants who refuse to be tested will be denied employment with VA. Applicants will not be appointed to the position if a verified positive drug test result is received.
Position Description Title/PD#: Supervisory Health Technician (Dietetic)/
Routine work requires repetitive motion activities of the hands and fingers for extensive phone, keyboard and computer mouse use, standing and sitting for extended periods of time, intermittent/non-strenuous ambulation around all areas of the medical center, and carrying light items such as papers, books, portable scales, and food trays. Occasionally, duties may require the movement of audio-visual equipment and/or classroom area organization and driving an automobile.
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job
- All applicants tentatively selected for VA employment in a testing designated position are subject to urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment. Applicants who refuse to be tested will be denied employment with VA.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to background/security investigation
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Participation in the seasonal influenza vaccination program is a requirement for all Department of Veterans Affairs Health Care Personnel (HCP)
- Participation in the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) vaccination program is a requirement for all Veterans Health Administration Health Care Personnel (HCP) - See "Additional Information" below for details.
To qualify for this position, you must meet one of the following:
Specialized Experience: At least one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level (GS-6) in the Federal Service that has given me the particular knowledge, skills and abilities required to successfully perform the duties of this position. Specialized experience includes leading administrative and trade skilled employees; providing technical assistance with specialized computer systems, programs and/or software applications; providing training for staff on specialized computer systems/software, and security issues; assisting with providing nutritional care services to patients; collects and analyzes data to prepare reports. Applicants should possess effective communications skills and show duties performed support medical and/or health personnel such as Nutritionists or Dietitians. NOTE: Experience must be fully documented on your resume and must include job title, duties, month and year start/end dates AND hours worked per week. ~OR~
Education: Successfully completed one (1) full year of graduate education (or 18 semester hours) with a major that included courses directly related to the work of this position (i.e. nutrition, dietary therapy, food and nutrition science, food service systems management, etc.). Such graduate education must demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work of this position. NOTE: Transcripts (unofficial or official) must be submitted with your application materials. Education cannot be credited without documentation. ~OR~
Combination: Equivalent combination of successfully completed graduate-level education and specialized experience, as described above, which meet the total qualification requirements for this grade level. This education must have been obtained at an accredited business, secretarial or technical school, junior college, college, or university. NOTE: Your experience must be documented in your resume and transcripts are required.
There is no educational substitution at this grade level.
A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/.
If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
VA supports the use of telework as a way to help attract and retain talented individuals in public service, increase worker productivity, and better prepare the agency to operate during emergencies. This position may be authorized for telework. Telework eligibility will be discussed during the interview process.
The following will be communicated to applicants for VA employment in a testing designated position and will also be included in all VA vacancy announcements for such positions: All applicants tentatively selected for VA employment in a testing designated position are subject to urinalysis to screen for illegal drugs use prior to appointment. Applicants who refuse to be tested will be denied employment with VA.
The Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) and Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) provide eligible displaced VA competitive service employees with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. To be well-qualified, applicants must possess experience that exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors if applicable, and must be proficient in most of the requirements of the job. Information about ICTAP and CTAP eligibility is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website which can be found at https://www.opm.gov/.
Receiving Service Credit for Earning Annual (Vacation) Leave: Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. VA may offer newly-appointed Federal employee's credit for their job-related non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave. Such credit must be requested and approved prior to the appointment date and is not guaranteed.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
A career with the U.S. government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Opens in a new windowLearn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE WILL NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. Applicants will be referred in the order in which they were received.
- Cover Letter
- DD-214/ Statement of Service
- Disability Letter (Schedule A)
- Disability Letter (VA)
- Proof of Marriage Status
- Separation Notice (RIF)
- SF-50/ Notification of Personnel Action
Please review the above list(s) to ensure you have included all necessary documents required for your application. Not every applicant will require the same documents, therefore it is the applicants responsibility to ensure that their application package includes all necessary documents to determine qualifications and eligibility for appointment, such as a copy of your SF-50, transcript, ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced Federal employees).You will not be contacted for additional information.
Applicants will be deemed ineligible if supporting documentation is not submitted.
Since the Direct-Hire Recruitment Authority is being used, traditional Veterans' Preference rules do not apply. Qualified veterans will, however, be given full consideration for this position.
Applications are accepted online.
Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from
schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
All applicants are encouraged to apply online.
To apply for this position, you must complete the occupational questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section. The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 02/27/2024 to receive consideration. To preview the questionnaire click https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/12310250.
1. To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
2. Click Submit My Answers to submit your application package.
NOTE: It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date. To verify your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the More Information link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
To return to an incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
After the vacancy announcement closes, applicants are evaluated to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email.